should all gas fixtures have a sediment trap? why doesn't the main gas line have a trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
my house was built in 1992.
my cooktop doesn't have a drip leg.
But I know it's common to have one for the water heater. and maybe the hvac gas furnace too? These are sensitive gas valves.

what is standard practice?
if the main line to the house has a drip leg, then you wouldn't need a drip leg for every appliance in the house, right?
but i never see this.

Bannerman

Reaction score
It's common practice and often a code requirement to install a vertical drip leg at the connection of each appliance.

A drip leg is to prevent any metal cuttings and cutting oil that might potentially remain inside of pipe sections after threading, from entering and fouling the gas control valve(s) within each appliance.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think its a bullshit unessesary code. for my first 26 years we didnt need them now we do ? uh huh not buying it but simple to comply I install them all the time more money for me and thats the code. not required on clothes dryers and ranges . California plumbing codein 2016 began requiring the trap to be upstream of a corrugated gas flex I think that requirement may have changed as 99 percent of water heaters I see dont comply to that as the trap is usually at the water heater with the flex imediatly upstream , Im interested to know if that part of the code has been changed and adopted throughout the state
I may not have worked in your specific area but Parts of LA, orange, riverside , and san bernardino countys for over 35 years and seen very very very few problems.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We install them on furnaces and water heaters, but never on a stove. Theres no place to put them, when the stub out is vertical out of the floor and the clearance to the appliance is zero..

Everyone who has the opportunity should open the next ten of them they see and document their findings. I bet that 99% are completely dry.. maybe a spec of dope from the cap.

We don't cut and thread any pipe anymore. All mega press. So each joint is cut with a bandsaw, chamfered and beveled.. I suppose a sloppy installer might get some saw dust behind. Maybe I need to observe the guys in the field on an install and see their process to see if there is possibility of foreign matter being left behind.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste of time and money but hey ill take it , I have to conceed there may be places where its needed water in the supply ? but not my hood.
Code clearly exempts ranges fireplaces clothes dryers and decorative appliances (?) .
Yea there is tons sloppy work in the field There oughta be a law against putting crap in the lines LOL but suprsingly its not a real problem. I would call it good practice measure but overkill. 20 bucks or 50 bucks for a 1/2 inch tee 3 inch nipple and cap sure bring it on itll buy me a burger and fries. I dont make these codes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks