Should a Water heater have two check valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
I that these kits to install new water heaters have two check vales in them. I understand why you would want a check valve on the cold water side but do I need one on the hot water side too (of course this is going in the opposite direction) ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They can save a little money since the hot water can't migrate as far. This also means that the lines outside of the WH will cool off more, requiring a longer wait to get hot if it hasn't been run recently. It's not a huge difference, and insulating the lines helps to minimize that. There are two types that I've seen: one uses a plastic ball, the other uses a flap. In either case, they must be installed in the proper location, or it will block flow to and out of the WH rather than opening with the flow.

Wombat

Reaction score
I that these kits to install new water heaters have two check vales in them. I understand why you would want a check valve on the cold water side but do I need one on the hot water side too (of course this is going in the opposite direction) ?

Ooops I was confused! LOL The valves in these kits are dielectric nipples. That being said I was still intending on putting one on the cold water side only. Thank you for your answers

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, that would give you a chance to see how effective the dielectric nipple is! Some people are fans of them, some aren't. Ideally, they help, in practice it's more of a tossup. If it was mine, and they came with the thing (they usually come in sets), I'd put them both in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks