Should a Water heater have two check valves?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by wombat, Aug 21, 2011.

1. wombat

wombat New Member

I that these kits to install new water heaters have two check vales in them. I understand why you would want a check valve on the cold water side but do I need one on the hot water side too (of course this is going in the opposite direction) ?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of checks on water heaters unless it's for a recirc line to make sure the flow is directed the correct way.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

They can save a little money since the hot water can't migrate as far. This also means that the lines outside of the WH will cool off more, requiring a longer wait to get hot if it hasn't been run recently. It's not a huge difference, and insulating the lines helps to minimize that. There are two types that I've seen: one uses a plastic ball, the other uses a flap. In either case, they must be installed in the proper location, or it will block flow to and out of the WH rather than opening with the flow.
  4. wombat

wombat New Member

Ooops I was confused! LOL The valves in these kits are dielectric nipples. That being said I was still intending on putting one on the cold water side only. Thank you for your answers
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If it's only a dielectric nipple, then there's no check valve.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Well, that would give you a chance to see how effective the dielectric nipple is! Some people are fans of them, some aren't. Ideally, they help, in practice it's more of a tossup. If it was mine, and they came with the thing (they usually come in sets), I'd put them both in.