Shortening schedule 120 drop pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Gamotis

Reaction score
First time well owner here.

I am adding a pit less adapter to my well. Unfortunately my pump only sits about 6" off of the bottom of my 40' well so I don't have enough room to just screw the adapter into the end and then lower it down to the new penetration.
Can I just cut my drop pipe and glue on a schedule 80 adapter fitting?
I'm worried that the joint won't nessecarily hold up to the weight over time.
If it needs to be threaded will a standard pipe threaded work or do I need one specifically for pvc?
I have also toyed with the idea of clamping a cable to the drop pipe below the new fitting and hooking that around the pit less adapter to support everything.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I just cut my drop pipe and glue on a schedule 80 adapter fitting?
No.
If it needs to be threaded will a standard pipe threaded work or do I need one specifically for pvc?
Regular pipe thread die I think, although http://www.lascofittings.com/threads says "To cut the threads, use only pipe dies designed for plastic". I think I remember reading that water is a suitable lubricant.

I have not done it, but somebody will know about how this works in practice.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I regularly cut and thread PVC sch 80 and 120 pipe on the jobsite. I use a ridgid hand threader. It is best to use dies that are specifically made for PVC pipe, which I have for 1" and 1 1/4", but I also use the standard dies.

I've also threaded the schedule 80 and 120 in a ridgid 535 power threader with no problems

Ridgid makes standard dies for steel pipe. They also make dies specifically for PVC pipe or for stainless steel pipe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The years before sch 80 became available sch 40 was used with glue on adapters and couplings, so yes you can glue one on but I wouldn't do it. Like Boyce, we cut and thread all the time with no issues.

No, don't put a so called "safety rope" or cable down the well to support the pump. If you feel the need to do that, buy a better grade of pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks