short tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

HAT MAN

Reaction score
So installed a new tub, tiled walls floor etc. Went to caulk tub so tried to fill tub and it will not fill.
Clearly the plug rod is not long enough. Makes sense because I remember having to extend drain pipe due to having a 18" deep tub.

Sooooo my question is this:

What is the easiest way to messure how long I need the rods to be in order for the plunger to pass the drain pipe?
Thought of hookinh plunger to a coat hanger and run water as I lower until I have water filling tub? What is the best way?

any help will be appreciated
Vincent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Get a piece of brass brazing rod. Make a loop in the end of it and fasten that to the plug linkage. Lower it into the drain until it bottoms out and then measure it to a point near the top of the overflow opening. Use that measurement and place the overflow plate with the top section, (adjust the threaded section to about the midpoint so you can make the final adjustments there), of the linkage at that point. Cut and bend the brazing rod so you can make a loop to attach it to the overflow section. Put it into the drain. If it is too long, shorten it by screwing the thread up, and if too short, screw it down, repeat until you get it correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks