Short Hiss after sitting on toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

tmoney

Reaction score
I need help with a mystery.

I have a toilet that when I sit down on the seat, there is a short hiss / shhh / sound. Similar to if you sat down on a padded office chair. The toilet is stable from side to side and front to back. I can also recreate the sound by pushing down on the toilet bowl with the seat up and down.

All my toilet problem searches deal with plumbing hissing and water drips. This is just the "psst" sound for a second.

The toilet has been installed as part of a renovation for approximately a year. The floor is tile with Warmly Yours radiant heating. The mat stops short of the front of the toilet. The temperature is set between 70 and 81. It is in an addition that was a bump-out, so no evidence of anything visible below.

I have not had the chance to pull the toilet and try a gasket replacement. That was going to be my first try, but I wanted to see if this was familiar to anyone else.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't guess you have a padded toilet seat.

You could tape a laser pointer to the toilet, pointed at a wall, and see if the red spot moves when you sit. Even then, I don't know what would make the hiss, but it seems it would be good to know about the deflection. You could try two different walls to compare. Note that the distance to the wall magnifies the deflection.

tmoney

Reaction score
No padded seat!

I thought about the non-wax gasket, but I figured I would ask some experts before I move the toilet and look and have the change the gasket anyway.

Thanks everyone - keep them coming!

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Try turning off the water to the tank. At work, we have a toilet that has a tank that moves causing the fill valve to open ever so slightly causing a hiss as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bowl may be stable, but what about the tank? I agree with above...try turning the water supply off and see if it still happens. Some fill valves are more sensitive to slight level changes (sloshing a bit if the tank moves) than others.

tmoney

Reaction score
It is a one-piece / no tank (Kohler Santa Rosa), so stability should be fine.

Turning water on / off is an easy, non-invasive recommendation!

tmoney

Reaction score
Water off > flush > sit (hiss) > water back on > sit (hss).

I do think there is a small amount of deflection when I sit on the toilet. I will investigate tightening the bolts and report back.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installed a comfort height two-piece Kohler today. It had a trick toilet seat powered by two D-cell batteries. It has a night light and an ass-operated fragrance dispenser. Could it be one of those?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You said there seems to be a slight deflection. I suspect this is causing the water in the bowl to slosh a small amount over the weir, and the hissing sound is the fill valve replenishing that tad bit of water. When a toilet moves, it compromises the wax ring seal and once the seal is broken, the wax ring must be replaced. You can't fix it by cinching the flange bolts tighter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks