Short Cycling Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott C

Reaction score
Hello All,

My pressure switch was broken and apparently was never clicking off. I realized this when taking a shower and the water shut off due to short cycling. I replaced the broken pressure switch, and the switch is working properly. However, the pump is continuing to short cycle. It will not run all the way to 60 psi. It shuts off two or three times before reaching the pressure shut off. Does this mean that the pump needs to be replaced? Are there any other things I can try to remedy the problem. Thanks for your help in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this mean that the pump needs to be replaced?
Probably. Where is your pump? How long does it run before shutting off?

You may get more time out of this by setting your pressure switch to about 25/45 and dropping the precharge on the pressure tank to go along with that.

Scott C

Reaction score
Probably. Where is your pump? How long does it run before shutting off?

You may get more time out of this by setting your pressure switch to about 25/45 and dropping the precharge on the pressure tank to go along with that.

I installed a 40/60 pressure switch and use to have a 30/50. Do I need to put a 20/40 switch on?

I am new to all this. Tonight I turned off the pump and drained all the water out. I then turned it back on and it filled for awhile but urned off at 40 psi. It then stopped about 5 more times before making it to 60 psi and cutting the switch off. Is there possibly something wrong with my pressure tank? Is there anything I can do to check that? I did check the pressure in the tank when the switch turned off and it read 60 psi. Is this correct. Thanks for your help. My first house did not have a well and I like learning how to do things myself.

Reach4

Reaction score
I installed a 40/60 pressure switch and use to have a 30/50. Do I need to put a 20/40 switch on?
Usually you just crank the bigger nut (center) CCW.

I am new to all this. Tonight I turned off the pump and drained all the water out. I then turned it back on and it filled for awhile but urned off at 40 psi. It then stopped about 5 more times before making it to 60 psi and cutting the switch off. Is there possibly something wrong with my pressure tank?
If the pump runs a few minutes to get up to 60 PSI, probably not. You can measure how much water comes out when you turn the pump off and run the water. Usually expect about 25% of the nominal gallons of the pressure tank.
Is there anything I can do to check that? I did check the pressure in the tank when the switch turned off and it read 60 psi. Is this correct.
To check/set precharge, you do it with the water pressure at zero.

Where is your pump? For example, is your pump a submersible down your well casing?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that the water level in the well has dropped, and the pump just has no water to pump! Or, the power cable could have an issue, and not providing the full voltage, which means it will try to pull more current, and potentially overheat (shouldn't if it is in water, though).

Scott C

Reaction score
I don't believe the water in the well is an issue because I am getting water.

I drained all the water again and checked. The tank has pressure. Also, I have a submerged pump. I believe it is probably 1 hp as the well is about 400ft. This is info from the previous owner (not sure).

So, this brings me back to my first thought, could my well pump be on its last leg since the pressure switch was broken and basically never turning off? Could the wiring be burnt out?

Thanks again for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
So, this brings me back to my first thought, could my well pump be on its last leg since the pressure switch was broken and basically never turning off?
Sounds likely to me. I am not a pro. In any case, it sounds like you need a well pro.

Your pump runs about 2 minutes 3 times to build from 40 PSI to 60 PSI when it used to take 70 seconds?

Did you maybe find some plastic in your aerators or other plumbing recently?

Could the wiring be burnt out?
Unlikely.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
When you changed from 30/50 pressure switch to 40/60 pressure switch, did you adjust the precharge on your pressure tank accordingly?

Do you have a pump saver in the pump circuit? If so, it may be malfunctioning. Or (unfortunately) it may be doing its job, and you do have a pump problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What Craigpump said. And if the amp meter reads full load amps the pump is running and a line is broken so very little water is getting to the tank. If it is reading zero amps when the pump shuts off by itself, the overload in the motor is tripping, which means the pump burned up when it would not shut off. If it is reading about 1/2 of full load amps when the water stops coming, you are pumping the well dry.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"short cycling" is when the SWITCH turns the pump on and off. You never get to that point, therefore the pump is cycling from an internal problem, probably overload.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"short cycling" is when the SWITCH turns the pump on and off. You never get to that point, therefore the pump is cycling from an internal problem, probably overload.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks