Short Cycling of pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

ToyodaJunkie

Reaction score
Hey guys, for the past 6hours I have been reading everything I could to figure out what my problem is with my well system. Basically the pressure switch keeps cycling every second for 10 to 15 secs then shuts off for a bit and will start back up until it has crossed over the 30psi mark. Once it moves past that it wont turn back on until someone uses the faucet but will basically start cycling immediatly. When it is turning on and off the pressure gauge is jumping from 30 psi to 55ish psi, which is why I believe it is turning off.

Things I have done is replace the switch with a new 30/50psi switch and replaced the 1/4" nipple it sits on. Drained the system by 1)turning off the pump 2)turning on the faucet to drain the pressure 3) turn off main water supply to house that is after the tank 4)Opened up hose drain right next to tank to drain any remaining water and release any more water pressure 5) Checked air pressure in tank and it was reading at 28psi with an ARB tire gauge. I have manually held the switch to closed position so contacts were touching to force pump to stay on and water came out of hose drain, next to tank, at a constant pressure. Also filled tank up to 40 - 45psi with switch closed to allow wife to use some water. Did notice when filling it up this way the prssure guage read 65psi but when pump was turned off the guage read40 - 45psi. Confirmed tank had same pressure as well with said tire gauge.

This you may need to know.
- Goulds pumps tank (replaced 2001 v60 which is a 20gal I believe)
- Well pump was replaced same time with a jet pump
- Is a shallow well
- Have high amounts of segiment that cause faucets to be cleaned every 6- 8 months
-Had a 6 days of constant rain that caused the water to run brown after the raid stopped. Went to clear after a couple days of letting the water run.
- Water will run brown if well runs dry, which I have done a couple times from the toilet running all night or day.

Whatever advise you guys have would be more than appreciated. I cant seem to figure out what would case the psi to jump like that on the pressure gauge when the pump turns on. A CSV might be in order but would like to know what "broke" as to fix the problem at hand. Was thinking maybe the check valve went bad from the segiment. But that is really a shot in the dark. Tank also doesnt seem heavy at all so dont believe to be water logged.

Thanks again and happy turkey day

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Either the pressure in the tank is set wrong. It should be set a 2 lbs below cut in pressure.

The little line that runs to the pressure switch is plugged

The pressure switch is bad

ToyodaJunkie

Reaction score
Its a brand new pressure switch and a new line going to the pressure switch. I checked the pressure last night in tank and it was set correctly or at least it seemed like it was. Will check again later today.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'm not really clear on what is actually happening but.. it is rarely the switch (as you see, now).

With no water in the tank, if you turn on the power to the pump, the pressure should jump to 30 on the gauge, and then increase to 50 and the switch should open and shut off the pump.

If on its way to 50 it only takes a couple seconds, then the switch is seeing 50 and opening or the motor is shutting down because of a thermal overload feature.

So are the switch contacts/points open when the pump shuts of, or isn't the pump shutting off etc. etc.?

Describe the problem again in a specific ordered and very detailed way as if you're talking to a blind person.

ToyodaJunkie

Reaction score
Ok basically what I'm seeing is the pressure gauge is reading 30psi. The switch turns the pump on. Pressure jumps up past 50psi in just a seccond, then the switch turns the pump off. But the prssure gauge will then drop down to 30psi and immediatly turn the motor back on and the cycle continues for 6 to 10 times. If I manually have the pump running, by keeping the contacts touching, the pressure of the pump seems to be hitting 60psi as it will not go above that. When I let the switch turn the motor off after doing that, the pressure gauge will read somewhere in the 40psi range, depending how long I let the pump run for.

I will look at the pump tomorrow morning when there is some light.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Ok basically what I'm seeing is the pressure gauge is reading 30psi. The switch turns the pump on. Pressure jumps up past 50psi in just a seccond, then the switch turns the pump off. But the prssure gauge will then drop down to 30psi and immediatly turn the motor back on and the cycle continues for 6 to 10 times. If I manually have the pump running, by keeping the contacts touching, the pressure of the pump seems to be hitting 60psi as it will not go above that. When I let the switch turn the motor off after doing that, the pressure gauge will read somewhere in the 40psi range, depending how long I let the pump run for.

I will look at the pump tomorrow morning when there is some light.
Check the air pressure in the tank with no water in it. Check for water or water vapor as you do that. If you get either, the bladder is busted. If no water or vapor, shake the tank and if there is water in it, it will be top heavy, the bladder is busted. If none of that and the air pressure is 1-2 psi less than 30, you have a blockage preventing the full flow of water into the tank or past the switch.

ToyodaJunkie

Reaction score
Little update. I purchased a new tank at the local plumbing supply house. Cut two pipes to get the old tank out. Unscrewed the tank and out drops a spring from the check valve that was installed at the tank. There is also a galvanized tee right before the tank and that thing is semi-clogged in the main portion of the Tee and the opening that feeds the main house from that was almost completely clogged. Would the tee being semi clogged and the check valve being broke be a reason for the short cycling? Its a 1" galvanized tee and the hole inside is roughly 1/2" now.

Tomorrow I will be attempting to get everything buttoned up. Now I have read abit on having and not having a check valve at the tank. Question is should I put one back there? I would like to add a CSV in the near future but that is not something that will be going in tomorrow. Any other helpful tricks or things I should add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks