short cycling NEED HELP ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dani

Reaction score
Learned my pressure control switch has been short cycling: sometimes from on to on 5 seconds and sometimes on to on 20 seconds. Found this out when I lost water and checked on the system--the pressure control switch had shut off. A nudge to the switch and it turns back on but short cycles anytime the water is being used. In checking the pressure on the tank with a tire gauge, water spewed out the stem. I guess this means the bladder ruptured. The pressure gauge is also out of whack. All said and done, I think I should replace the precharged tank, the pump pressure control switch, the gauge and add a pressure relief valve. Currently, I have a precharged Flotec, 220 gallon equivalent. Can I change it out for a 35 gallon/82 gallon equivalent precharged Flotec? The submersible pump is a three wire 4" Flotec. Because it has been so many years since installing the pump, I have no recollection as to what Hp I have. The well as 32 gallons per minute and the well depth is 215. The system was installed in 1994. Need an answer quickly as I will be purchasing the parts tomorrow, Thursday, July 15, as this has been going on at least one week and I need to replace the parts before my pump burns up. Please answer my questions in simple terms. I am not a plumber, just a woman trying to get by. Thank you. Dani

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I would replace the pressure tank, and the pressure switch, along with the guage.

The larger the pressure tank the longer draw down you will get on your system between pump cycles.

The biggest key is setting the pressure switch up correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks