Short Bathtubs? (57")

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by molo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. molo

molo Member

I would like to replace a steel tub that has a badly worn finish on it. However, the current tub is only 57" long. Are tubs this size available?

Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Tubs are either 60" or 54" or 66" Are you measuring the tub after it has been pulled out? Or are you measuring from wall to wall?
    Most bathrooms are framed at 60-1/4", and then you add drywall and tile. If you have a mud set tile job, then even with a standard five foot tub, the wall to wall distance can be 57". Somewhere buried in all that is a 60" tub.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I wish they were framed at 60 1/4"!!! I have seen too many framed at 59 7/8" just enough off to cause problems!!!!!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

57" tubs were NEVER available. Yours is 60" with 1 1/2" of "wall" on each end.
  5. molo

molo Member

It looks like the tub is 53-54". I hope they're still available.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If it's not a 60" tub, then 54" is a possibility. But, unless you are bathing only a child or very short adult, that small of a tub might better be turned into a shower. Since 60" tubs are the 'norm' in the USA, any other size will have limited volume, fewer choices, and likely higher costs.
  7. hj

I have to accept your measurement, but since you started out at 57" and a 54" tub would measure about 52" between the walls, I cannot be sure what you have. A 54" steel tub would be a VERY unusual animal.
  8. molo

molo Member

The first measurement of 57" was incorrect. The tub is in fact 53-54" (from edge to edge and not wall to wall). It is an old tub (60 years +) that is steel or cast iron. The local store told me that they have 53" tubs available for arouind $350.
  9. hj

I have never heard of, nor seen, a "53 inch" tub so he must mean 54" unless it is some little known manufacturer.