Short Bathtubs? (57")

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I would like to replace a steel tub that has a badly worn finish on it. However, the current tub is only 57" long. Are tubs this size available?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tubs are either 60" or 54" or 66" Are you measuring the tub after it has been pulled out? Or are you measuring from wall to wall?
Most bathrooms are framed at 60-1/4", and then you add drywall and tile. If you have a mud set tile job, then even with a standard five foot tub, the wall to wall distance can be 57". Somewhere buried in all that is a 60" tub.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I wish they were framed at 60 1/4"!!! I have seen too many framed at 59 7/8" just enough off to cause problems!!!!!

Molo

Reaction score
Tubs are either 60" or 54" or 66" Are you measuring the tub after it has been pulled out? Or are you measuring from wall to wall?
Most bathrooms are framed at 60-1/4", and then you add drywall and tile. If you have a mud set tile job, then even with a standard five foot tub, the wall to wall distance can be 57". Somewhere buried in all that is a 60" tub.

It looks like the tub is 53-54". I hope they're still available.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's not a 60" tub, then 54" is a possibility. But, unless you are bathing only a child or very short adult, that small of a tub might better be turned into a shower. Since 60" tubs are the 'norm' in the USA, any other size will have limited volume, fewer choices, and likely higher costs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have to accept your measurement, but since you started out at 57" and a 54" tub would measure about 52" between the walls, I cannot be sure what you have. A 54" steel tub would be a VERY unusual animal.

Molo

Reaction score
I have to accept your measurement, but since you started out at 57" and a 54" tub would measure about 52" between the walls, I cannot be sure what you have. A 54" steel tub would be a VERY unusual animal.

The first measurement of 57" was incorrect. The tub is in fact 53-54" (from edge to edge and not wall to wall). It is an old tub (60 years +) that is steel or cast iron. The local store told me that they have 53" tubs available for arouind $350.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks