Short anode rod life and VERY hard water

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveSol

Reaction score
I've been at my current home for 12 years, house built in 1982. Well water. The water has progressively got very hard- it's currently at 261 mg/l. Conductivity is 1300 umho/cm, Chloride is 360 mg/l, PH is 6.2.

I suspect road salt of various kinds is getting into the aquifer. :(

Bottom line is the anode rods wear out very fast now. I'm starting to replace them in the Rheem Fury (electric 50 gal tank) every year. I'm on my 3rd heater. I'm using the Rheem resistorized magnesium rod. I've been told the Rheems are a good hot water heater to use given these harsh conditions. I've also had some burnt out elements. Ironically there is not a heck of a lot of sediment on the bottom of the tank although there is some build up around the elements.

I guess I'm ok with replacing the anode rods regularly but are their any other options? I'm thinking of buying some ULWD elements as well. Not sure if there is anything else I can do?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a powered anode. Those do not wear out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks