Shock treating well after new well pump was installed

Users who are viewing this thread

rob742

Reaction score
I had a new well pump installed. Also had new pressure tank installed and I changed all the media in my acid neutralizer. The water is running clear now but I will need to shock treat my well. Is it safe to run the chlorine water into the acid neutralizer? The media is calcite. I figure that there may be bacteria any where water flows in the house. I will be using pellets I bought from a Well driller used for sanitizing wells. Each pellet treats 20 gallons of water. The estimated depth of the well is 290'. I would need to know about how many gallons of water are in the well. How would I figure this out? Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me. The well casing diameter is 6"

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If bacteria has migrated into the aquifer, you may need to overload the well. That could involve dumping around 500 to 1000 gallons of chlorinated water down the well. You might get lucky and get away with just recirculating the water.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had the best luck chlorinating by pumping the water level right down to the pump and then adding the chlorine. When the well recovers, the chlorine is then carried back into the structure where it kills the bacteria. Of course you have to circulate the chlorinated water to wash down the pipe, wire, casing, well cap etc.

Don't be surprised if the water gets crummy looking for a few days.

rob742

Reaction score
In the past when my well had tested positive for Total Coliform. I just dropped Chlorinating pellets down into the well. This was enough to get the Total Coliform to meet the EPA Safe drinking water standards. The difference here is the old well pump and hosing were removed and a new pump was installed. Could I get lucky and just drop enough pellets down the well and get the same results? When shock treated the well in the past I never rinsed the casing or anything. The plumber said just drop enough pellets down the well and turn on the garden hose outside until I smell chlorine. Then run all faucets until I smell chlorine coming out of each one then let it set for overnight. Then flush out the chlorine with the garden hose outside. It seems there are so many different ways it can be done. Everyone has a different way of doing it . Some just mix bleach and water and pour it down the well but I was told it would only disinfect the top of the well water. I am getting confused on the right way to do this. The main thing is that whatever way is done that it will meet the EPA safe drinking water standard < 1.0 MPN/100mls

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another good reason not to use poly pipe. Just imagine 400' laying in the dirt, grass, dog crap and then being run back into the well....

Hate to be so upfront, but If you trust your plumber so much, why are you asking us questions?

rob742

Reaction score
I guess I have doubts now about the plumber. He said he has been in business 26 years and has an A+ BBB rating. But it just did not seem right that the well was not shocked after the new pump was installed. I guess I screwed up. He said he has done a lot of pump installs and that is the first entry on his business card. I guess my doubts came up when I thought about all that hose laying on the ground. I could have the water tested by a lab Certified lab near me ISO9001 registered. I will check out that link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/de...l_221334_7.pdf.
The worst my water has ever tested for Total Coliform was 1.0 MPN/100mls safety EPA standard is under 1.0 It has never ever tested positive for E coli. I have a 3 stage filtration system under my sink 1).5micron filter followed by 2)activated carbon filter followed by 3) UV light disinfection then to its own faucet. You guys make sense. I hope I can use my under the sink filtration until I have my water tested by the lab so I know what I am dealing with. On second thought I think I will buy bottled water until I get this taken care of the right way. I would like to know what the lab comes up with. What besides bacteria should be checked by the lab? The plumber was right about some things but looks like he does not know about contamination or else he is negligent!!

Last edited:

rob742

Reaction score
LLigetfa, If IRB/SRB is suspected in the well. Would the lab be able to determine the presence and cause of it? There appeared to be rust colored coating on the hose that went to the pump. I would have to tell the lab what checks I need to have done and they will do it. Could something be in the well water where adding chlorine may make it precipitate out and cause clogging of the pump intake? I guess now I don't know whether to try shock treating the well or have a lab check the water first. Then I may know how to proceed.

Last edited:

kbardouski

Reaction score
Figuring out exactly how much chlorine needed to dose your well would depend on how deep your well, as well as the standing water level. Also, does your well feed your house direct? Or does it fill a tank?

rob742

Reaction score
I had my well water tested by a certified EPA lab and it came back as negative for Total coliform bacteria

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks