Shipping Shower Waterproofing in cold weather: How to protect from freezing

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Many waterproofing products are not designed to freeze until mixed and cured. Ardex 8+9, Hydro Ban, Red Guard etc. So how do you ship something and make sure it does not freeze? Good question.

I have two boxes of Ardex 8+9 that needs to get shipped up to Terrace, B.C. Shipping these two boxes is only $45.00 and the estimated time is 2-3 days. What I worry about is how it's stored. If it goes by plane. If the temperature drops and the product freezes it might be a total disaster.

To cover my bases I just order some of these little guys.

uniheat-72-hour-shipping-warmer.jpg

The plan is to make a simple box like a beer cooler and crack on of these 72+ hour UniHeat warmers and mail it off. Sounds like a solid plan. Sounds too easy.

What am I missing?

Working these might be the perfect thing for the pick up truck as well. When your out and about. I might design a storage box in the back of my truck so I do not have to transport my waterproofing materials in and out of the cold daily. A $6.00 investment that might save $10,000.00 one day!

Roberto - RSCB - Do you have any insight into your safe guards with these shower waterproofing products. It's getting chilly. Over night lows are dropping. Time to safe guard against mishaps I think.

I have another client in Ottawa who is building a large curbless shower. We tried to find Ardex 8+9 in Ottawa and there is none for sale. Closest location is Toronto. I'm told by the Ottawa Ardex rep that the distributor there is familiar with shipping glues and adhesives in cold weather. So that is one way to be safe. Ship via a proper outlet which uses heated trucks.

Something you might not think about - unless you are as paranoid as me.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JW said:
The plan is to make a simple box like a beer cooler and crack on of these 72+ hour UniHeat warmers and mail it off. Sounds like a solid plan. Sounds too easy.

What am I missing?

Make sure they are approved by the shipping companies and DOT .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto. I brought a box into Canada Post and asked. Girl said it was OK.

What is DOT?

When I get the heater packs (won;t use them for this order) they are approved, Used by bug and fish salesmen for years. Eco friendly non hazardous items.

Once again I'm branching into the unspecified world.

I'm going to freeze some liquid this weekend. See if it gets stiff. I'm going to do the same with some Aqaudefene I have kicking around somewhere. That stuff is way old so not sure if it really is a good test or not.

I'm curious to see the change in the Ardex liquid.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Did you ask the girl if it is ok to send them ''active '' -- while heat is activated -- ?

DOT -- department of transport -- .

It shouldn't hurt the liquid for a '' short '' freeze up period . Let them come back at room temperatures and stir them up before use .

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto they use these all the time to mail fish, crickets and bugs. Pretty sure it's OK.

I'll mail you one in the winter to see if it still is warm.....

Maybe with a HotDog!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
thats borderline hazardous shipping with possible cross product combustion...... msds sheets required...??

i can see it on the news already !! lol

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I was referring to your cross product explosion.... It was suppose to be funny. Like suggesting you where high when you wrote the post.

Lets be serious..... LOL

What an awesome weekend so far.

Volleyball all of yesterday and two soccer matches today. The kicker. I get to build a steam shower next week. My favourite part will be switching out the Kerdi to something with a better perm rating.... And I thought Christmas came in December

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If you let all your mortars cure properly, your client can expect a possible steam by 2015 ...

cant find any sealed slip detail in regards to the "L" brand membrane, that detail will likely surface after a problem arises........ curious to see how you Manhandle this project. clearly the builder hired the right cowboy the second time around (the poor guy.)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Package arrived safe and sound....

No crickets or heating pads needed.

I have another client in Ottawa that needs 8+9. Local store wanted $140.00 per box....

Talk about jacking the price. I tried to set up an account for him and they would not let me. Gave the client of mine 35% off list so I guess that's better than a hard kick in the .....

kicked_in_the_ass-12457.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks