Shell Gas Stations - Why they push so hard for you to buy two drinks and candy bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
In the past three weeks I have been extremely upset over the promotion of Candy bars and Soft Drinks from my local Shell Gas Station stores. I asked two of these aggressive counter clerks why they push so hard and why they constantly ask for the 'UpSell' even after they are told it's not wanted or needed. I was shocked to find out that they can loose their jobs if they don't.

Two separate employees informed me of this at two separate locations. Shell calls it a 'Silent Shopper' or 'Mystery Shopper Program' - I call it "Shameful" "Sad" "Outrageous". I emailed Shell after trying for 20 minutes to speak to anyone in Canada about the subject. Turns out that Shell does not even employee people in North America to help out in customer service - these jobs outsourced to a call center in South Africa.

At 6:30 AM today they call! I was told by customer service rep that these employees are 'Mistaken' and that Shell has no policy in place like the one I mention above. Who believes that? Not me. I have always (well almost) shopped at Shell for gas and am not sure if other gas stations have followed suit in this practice. I think it's shameful for a gas company to employee these practices. Perhaps it's the individual owners of these franchises and their own local rules but this past three weeks it's happened to me in Vernon, Vancouver and North Vancouver.

The worst incident was at the Shell gas station in Vernon near Okanogon Lake. I brought a diet coke to the counter and said specifically this is all I want. I have been making this a habit trying to combat the constant upselling. The counter man told me two diet cokes are on special. Lucky for me I can read and noticed the huge sign on the glass door and the little sign inside the fridge. Having a keen eye for detail I also noticed the sign on the counter. I told him I only want one. The guy leans back and places both hands behind his head and says "I insist - go get another one!" Are you ____ing kidding me?

Is this practice going on in the States as well?

With Obesity a problem in both the USA and Canada it would be a better strategy to push fruit or milk on clients instead. What a joke Shell.

JW

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They push candy and drinks because they make a bigger profit on them.

The markup on fruit would yield less profit. They can make more profit on Candy bars than Gas.

It is a shame that the employees have to push sales, or they may get fired.
Most places have video cameras and the employer may use that to see if employees are doing their job.

It is all about money. But I agree it sucks to the maximum vacuum.

Cookie

Reaction score
I never walk inside, I use my card at the pumps, all I have to worry about is Identity Theft! :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have noticed that the mini-marts at various stations are being bought up/and/or contracted out to big operators such as Circle K. These people are scientists in the retail business, and cross-sell/up-sell are buzz words, as are enticing displays, etc. Sounds like you ran into a few folks who went overboard.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Shell Gas - pushing double candy bars on customers

I got a phone call from South Africa from customer service. The lady told me she has logged an "Official Complaint" and that Shell does not threaten their employee's. That was last week. Yesterday I stopped (Yes at shell - just for coffee) in on a shell store and bought a coffee.

Me: "Just the coffee please."

Attendent: "$2.18"

Me: "Here you go." So happy that the upsell was left of the table...... but wait for it.

Attendent: Handy back my change "Are you sure you don't want two kit kats?"

Even after paying for an item it seams that the up-selling does not stop.

Since these events and my complaint I have not filled up once at Shell. I have found Chevron here asking extra questions but more so questions like do you have a points card. Not the push on candy and soft drinks.

I would like to find a gas station where I can actually fill up my truck. They do not let you put more than $100 of gas in at once. I need $140.00 just to fill up. Yet another tatic to get you in the store more times in a week.....

JW

Windows on Washington

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.windowsonwashington.net
Sad to see this given the obesity epidemic as you mentioned.

I fill up at one station predominantly and the guys all know me now. I know they are just doing as told but it is a pretty sleazy policy. We don't need any help being fat...that is for certain.

I love my Paleo diet so I keep the bars in the car with me. Saves me from stopping when I am hungry.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In the U.S., most Shell (and other) gas stations are independent franchises. The promotions and upselling techniques come from franchise owners/managers and have nothing to do with the brand of fuel which they are selling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks