Shed for plumbing/electric

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Lee

Reaction score
I had originally planned on installing a h frame for my electric service to feed my barn and future home. After talking to my well driller, pits are no longer allowed by code so my plan is to build a shed to house both my electric service and well plumbing/electronics so I can keep it above freezing.

This will be in Northern Indiana so cold and snow have to be dealt with.

My questions:

Best way to build floor/footer to keep plumbing from freezing? I will run a small electric heater with 40 degree thermostat.
1. Stem wall with gravel floor? Run rigid insulation around exterior and under floor?
2. Concrete slab insulating the same way?
3. Rough in 4" pvc penetrations for electric and water? Do those(water?) need insulation down to frost line?

Reach4

Reaction score
An alternative is to put the pressure switch and pressure tank in the basement, and tee off to the barn underground anywhere, such as near the well. That water for the barn would not have to pass through the house.

I don't know about the insulation aspects, except that it would make a difference whether the water pipe comes up at an outside wall or more interior to the shelter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pitless adapter are really nice. You don' t have to worry your pump system will freeze when the power goes off. CSV125 in the well, pressure switch/pressure tank in the house, nothing will freeze and you can tee into the mainline anywhere you want a hydrant.

Ryan Lee

Reaction score
The house is not built yet and the barn is very very un-insulated. That's the reason that I'll end up building a shed so I can have a small climate controlled area.

I'm thinking about a 12x16 shed with a porch and then dividing the 16' section in two so I have a roughly 7x12 area to heat.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Then run the pipes down through the floor, not through the walls. Seal it up as air tight as you can and use a heater that won't burn the well house down. Climate control is good until the heater quits or the power goes off.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you search (box above) for polyiso slab by member Dana, but do not search this forum only. You will find some insulating tips.

Maybe get a small kerosene heater if concerned about an extended power outage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks