Shed Circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'd like to install a simple shed circuit to my new wooden shed. I'm planning on running 12-2 UF on a 20 amp circuit that is protected by a GFI outlet. I am planning on using 1/2" PVC conduit for the physical protection part coming down into the ground and up under the shed.

I had a few questions.

1. Does the "main disconnect" (switch) need to be in it's own junction box?
2. Do I need fittings at the points with red circles? Since the conduit was only for physical protection, I was planning on just stopping the conduit and running the UF stapled to the studs right into that first junction box and then continue with NM-B. I was looking around for fittings that go from PVC to NM and couldn't really find anything that would work simply.

Thanks in advance.

uf.png

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
That actually looks fine. No issues from what I see.

No fittings are required with NM conduit used for protection. Remember, Sch80 is required when used for physical protection.

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you.

I'm assuming that the "main disconnect" switch must be in it's own junction box? It would be more sleek if I could put it in the double gang box with the first outlet, but I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a main disconnect then even though electrically it will do the same thing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I installed my air handler, to provide a disconnect, I just installed a double-pole switch in a box feeding the thing that passed inspection...while assuming is dangerous, from my limited experience, an appropriately rated switch could be in the same box as other things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks