Sharkbite vs union?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hcw3

Reaction score
I have a couple of connections seeping, on the DHW tank on a fairly new boiler system.

The leaking connections are at the tank, where the boiler connects in and out (see attached photo).

Back in the "old days", when I knew everything :) , I was told it was standard practice to install DHW tanks using unions, especially in rural residences, for ease in removal and/or replacement, and for "annual" cleanout (which of course I've done 'annually', only once).

I'm planning on repairing these leaky connections, but would like to install some "quick disconnects" mainly to make it easier to tighten the fittings in case of further leaking. I was told by the HVAC guy who installed the system, that leaks in the closed loop were common because of the temperature range (sounds weak to me!).

For simplicity I'd like to use a couple of 1" MPT x 3/4" Sharkbite reducer/adapters, if I could depend on them to last. Or is the "right way" to use a couple of unions (with nipples, and reducer couplings etc) because they would be less likely to ever be a problem?

Another reason to avoid the unions is that there isn't much room between the tank fittings and the 3/4" copper els.

Is there any reason not to use Sharkbites hoping that they'd last for 'decades', or is that a half-a** way to do it?

Thanks.

--
Harry

Attachments

• leaks.jpg
    leaks.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 583

Hcw3

Reaction score
Thanks folks, I sure appreciate the input.

Terry, I guess I never filled my profile properly - I'm in western NY state, with minimal earthquakes!

Jerome, my boiler's set at 170°, so it's within specs. Cash Acme says they're OK for up to 200°.

I'll go with the easier plan for now, see how it works. I'm down there often enough, keeping up with the softener, so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks