Sharkbite Questions Code Leaks hate em like em

Users who are viewing this thread

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
For the life of me I can not get any reliable info on sharkbites.

I hate using them and only use them when I have no choice.

I live in B.C. Canada

Can someone answer these questions for me.

Does code accept them?
Behind walls?
underground?
Soft Copper?

I told my boss I dont like using them underground on soft copper becuase, soft copper is never perfectly round and if they dont line up they tend to leak.

So say I used one underground, got it lined up nice and had no leaks. As soon as the ground settles its going to cause the joint to leak. I insisted on him getting 1/2" corp succ couplins

I find sharkbites for the lazy plumber or people who dont know how to plumb.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sb

And WHY is the ground going to settle if the pipe has been there long enough to require a repair? Soft copper is another thing if it is out of round to start with, but it will NOT get out of round just because you installed the SB fitting. The company says they are approved for all those applications.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For the life of me I can not get any reliable info on sharkbites.

I hate using them and only use them when I have no choice.

I live in B.C. Canada

Can someone answer these questions for me.

Does code accept them?
Behind walls?
underground?
Soft Copper?

I told my boss I dont like using them underground on soft copper becuase, soft copper is never perfectly round and if they dont line up they tend to leak.

So say I used one underground, got it lined up nice and had no leaks. As soon as the ground settles its going to cause the joint to leak. I insisted on him getting 1/2" corp succ couplins

I find sharkbites for the lazy plumber or people who dont know how to plumb.

You can use sharkbites just about anywhere.

Sharkbites aren't for lazy plumbers because in certain situations they're a life saver and could save you hours of time.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What's not honest about billing for hours of time? I thought that is the whole point of doing service ;)

Ask yourself (if you are old enough) what on earth did plumbers ever do before sharkbites, aav's, ferncos, flexi supplies and all the other labor saving miracles we have now. I'll tell you what, WE MADE MORE MONEY! and we did it the right way.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What's not honest about billing for hours of time? I thought that is the whole point of doing service ;)

Absolutely nothing. But you would be billing for hours of your time you didn't invest into the job.

Using your logic I should say to my next customer "Well back in the day all drainage was threaded steel pipe so I'm gonna charge $12,000 instead of $3,000 because of how much time it would take if we didn't have technology."

I can't exactly see that going over so well.

If anything I'd just charge more for the fitting and a minimum for coming out including all travel time.

But to each their own!. If you can show up for 10 minutes and charge for 3 hours and your customer doesn't complain I would say that I am jealous of that! Because around here I couldn't get away with doing that.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At what point did you get the notion that I would ever bill for hours that we were not there?

What I would do is show up on the job. Repair the leaking pipe with a solder coupling, or pex coupling or cpvc coupling and bill for the time I was there. In no case would I slap a sharkbite on it. Nor will I slap an aav on a vent just to save an hour or so's worth of time. Our customers know that going in and that's why we are the largest plumbing company in the county. There's the quick and easy way, and there's the solid quality way. Customers call us because we never take shortcuts.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
At what point did you get the notion that I would ever bill for hours that we were not there?

What I would do is show up on the job. Repair the leaking pipe with a solder coupling, or pex coupling or cpvc coupling and bill for the time I was there. In no case would I slap a sharkbite on it. Nor will I slap an aav on a vent just to save an hour or so's worth of time. Our customers know that going in and that's why we are the largest plumbing company in the county. There's the quick and easy way, and there's the solid quality way. Customers call us because we never take shortcuts.

Ohhhh Well I said that a sharkbite could save someone hours of time and then you said "I charge for that time" so to me I read it as you still charge for that time even though you fixed it quicker!

Just some miss communication my friend ;)

But yes I agree I don't use sharkbites unless I have too. But sometimes they're just so handy!

ChuckS

Reaction score
Ohhhh Well I said that a sharkbite could save someone hours of time and then you said "I charge for that time" so to me I read it as you still charge for that time even though you fixed it quicker!

Just some miss communication my friend ;)

But yes I agree I don't use sharkbites unless I have too. But sometimes they're just so handy!

I took the statement that way also. First thing I thought is how life would be expensive if everyone took that attitude. The accountant would do your taxes long hand instead of using a computer because "he charges for that time". What if the carpenter didn't use a nail gun or power saw? What if the auto makers refused to use robots or other manufacturers refused to use automation?

Sure, unemployment would be waaay down but bread would cost a mint...

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I didn't take the statement to mean he was going to charge more than time actually spent, but...

If my plumber were to charge me for an hour of labor soldering pipes when he could have done it in 5 minutes with sharkbites, I wouldn't like it. I do consider that as a form of dishonesty.

My plumber would never think of sandbagging that way.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
why would you even bother to call a plumber if he's just going to use a sharkbite. You can do that yourself.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Yes I can do that myself and I can do pretty much everything my plumber can do regardless of what kind of fittings are used.

As a GC, the reason I use a plumber is the same reason I use a carpenter, a mason, an electrician and a painter. I stick to my job and let them do theirs.

I don't consider sharbites inferior to soldered fittings at all. And if the pipes cannot be completely purged of water, I consider the sharkbites to be more reliable.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes I can do that myself and I can do pretty much everything my plumber can do regardless of what kind of fittings are used.

As a GC, the reason I use a plumber is the same reason I use a carpenter, a mason, an electrician and a painter. I stick to my job and let them do theirs.

I don't consider sharbites inferior to soldered fittings at all. And if the pipes cannot be completely purged of water, I consider the sharkbites to be more reliable.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. The sharkbite argument rages on on just about every DIY forum out there. They are here and they will probably be around at least until they begin failing and the lawsuits begin. I am a plumber. I am licensed and trained. Water in the pipe is not an issue for a professional. If you would rather stick the pipes together with a couple rubber O rings then go for it. I would rather make a solid, reliable repair that I know will last for years. It's going to take me less than an hour either way. Either way I'm charging for an hour's labor plus parts. The sharkbite coupling costs me about 6 bucks, and a copper one about 45 cents. It's going to cost a couple dollars less to have me fix it right.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I didn't take the statement to mean he was going to charge more than time actually spent, but...

If my plumber were to charge me for an hour of labor soldering pipes when he could have done it in 5 minutes with sharkbites, I wouldn't like it. I do consider that as a form of dishonesty.

My plumber would never think of sandbagging that way.

Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John

Then you've obviously never had to make a repair in large commercial building like an apartment building where you sometime have to wait a LONG time for the building to drain.

Or you've never had a leak up around a corner where you can barely reach let alone solder.

Would I use a sharkbite on a readily accessible chunk of pipe? Ofcourse not.

But they can save you HOURS of time in certain situations.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Then you've obviously never had to make a repair in large commercial building like an apartment building where you sometime have to wait a LONG time for the building to drain.

Or you've never had a leak up around a corner where you can barely reach let alone solder.

Would I use a sharkbite on a readily accessible chunk of pipe? Ofcourse not.

But they can save you HOURS of time in certain situations.

You have no idea of what experience I do or do not have. There are many ways to make repair on water lines in large buildings with out having to wait for all the water to drain, after you have the time and experience in the trade that I have you to may be able to make these repairs with out sharkbites.

John

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You have no idea of what experience I do or do not have. There are many ways to make repair on water lines in large buildings with out having to wait for all the water to drain, after you have the time and experience in the trade that I have you to may be able to make these repairs with out sharkbites.

John

I didn't mean it to be offensive!

Ofcourse there are many ways to make repairs without sharkbites.

Pasco quick sweat tool...
Ridgid freezing machine...
The old bread trick....

etc.

But still sometimes nothing beats a sharkbite!!!!!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
OK, but what did you do 10 years ago?

“Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. Darth Vader

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks