SHARKBITE, PEX and /or copper connectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

corney

Reaction score
Anyone have any comments re. new (to me) "SHARKBITE" PEX and /or copper connectors.
I see the "note" on the packaging states the sale of same are banned in CAL. & Vermont.

I'm in the process of remodeling a bathroom. took out old shower stall and jacuzzi, now have to re-route water lines for new soaker tub and shower and I'm kind of hesitant to go from copper to "Pex and then seal in these "NEW" connectors under soon to be new tile floor with out some kind of input from someone of you guys that may have used them or have some knowledge and / or an educated opinion about them thanks a lot .....Corney

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
No joints in slab other than braze and test.

No Sharkbite or comparable for me other than a temporary repair. Seen them leak later with no damage to them, their internals, or the pipe they are attached too.

They exceed the lead requirement for California and Vermont. Who knows if that really means anything or not.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Shark bites have been around a long time. They have proved to be quite reliable....not all plumbers feel they are "professional quality". The particular package you have is made of conventional brass, and hence is not allowed to be sold in CA, VT, or MD. They are sold in those states, made of the more expensive lead-free brass. As of Jan 1, 2014 the lead free rule applies all 50 states. not sure if Canada has or will adopt such legislation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks