SharkBite fittings and CPVC and PB

Users who are viewing this thread

bmkr94

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone attempted to make a connection between CPVC and PB using the Sharkbite connection system. I am in the process of doing a replumb, removing PB pipe and replacing with CPVC. With each day, I isolate a part of the supply system to minimize downtime for homeowner, SharkBite plays a part of that. I see the company promotes that SharkBites work with CPVC, PEX, and copper. I believe PEX has same pipe dimennsions as PB and CPVC, so it sounds as if it the SharkeBite should work as a temp connection between the CPVC and PB for each day of work until the replumb has been completed.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Thanks.

Lancaster

Reaction score
I figure it is quite clear that polybutylene is conspicuous by its absence on the list.
By making a point of not listing PB,Cash Acme is telling you they will not be liable for any use with same,without actually divulging whether they have tested with PB or not.

bmkr94

Reaction score
Are there any connections that would allow for a temporary transition between PB and CPVC and have some level of comfort against leaking while daily replumbing is underway? If material properties for PB and PEX are similar, then the fittings should work in this case. It is not a permanent fix and is only for each day while work is underway to restore water service and isolate water service within the replumb regions of the home. If I had some spare PB around, I could do the testing myself. I do agree, it was clear PB was not mentioned. I will be contacting Cash Acme tomorrow to ask the same questions.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
PAck joint couplings should work. Not sure if a stiffner will fit in the PB

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

Sharkbite will work quite well. PB is probably not on the list because you can no longer buy it, and they are listing current materials.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

The gray end of the Sharbite if for PB

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sharkbites can be used for underground applications according to the Mfgr. but are not approved in my area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks