SharkBite connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

mankind

Reaction score
I have used Sharkbite connectors in a plumbing renovation where I have replaced all PB piping with FlowGuard CPVC. I used the Sharkbites to transition CPVC to PB at the end of each day so I did not have to keep the water supply shutdown during the rennovation, being able to use water at end of each work day.

These connectors worked flawless for me.

Trevh20s

Reaction score
if You go to SharkBite.com or Cashacme.com, there you will find all of the fittings approvals. The fittins are approved by IAPMO for burial and installation behind walls with out access panels. It could be expensive but you could use the fittings in a whole house/building system.

Trevh20s

Reaction score
I could see using a Sharkbite to connect to old copper exiting the foundation wall and going to the lawn sprinkler system. I sometimes have to rework incorrect/frozen outdoor plumbing, and I wouldn't mind having a no-brainer compression connector, since it often happens that the sprinkler control wires are rightnextto the copper pipe, making it very touchy to solder on a new connector.

Does existing corrosion or solder on the pipe prevent a good connection with Sharkbites?

As long as you the pipe is cut straight and you debur the OD of the pipe you will be fine. From there make sure the fittings is full engaged, you can hear or feel it bottom out.

Trevh20s

Reaction score
I could see using a Sharkbite to connect to old copper exiting the foundation wall and going to the lawn sprinkler system. I sometimes have to rework incorrect/frozen outdoor plumbing, and I wouldn't mind having a no-brainer compression connector, since it often happens that the sprinkler control wires are rightnextto the copper pipe, making it very touchy to solder on a new connector.

Does existing corrosion or solder on the pipe prevent a good connection with Sharkbites?

Are these fittings going to last as long as a compression fitting? The O ring inside seems like it would fail over time (hopefully not a short time)

The fittings come with a 25 year Warranty.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
One of the reasons I began stocking Sharkbites is for connection to the occasional CPVC I run into.

I am more horrified that copper pipe is being installed with crimped seals in commercial applications. They claim the life is in excess of fifty years. (Viega Propress) Even so, can you imagine the plumbing in a skyscraper failing everywhere suddenly in fifty years' time? I'm guessing that our throw-away society has decided that commercial buildings are designed for much shorter life spans than older buildings were.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just replaced 2 shutoffs on CPVC under a kitchen sink and used sharkbite stops...It was nice not having to wait for the CPVC glue to cure enough to turn on water.

The old stops were the push / pull type with supply line attatched...They are the junkiest things I have seen...

Scott-Perry

Reaction score
I have been doing plumbing for 40 years. I think shark bites came out in the last 10 years or so. So far I have only seen one of them fail. It failed on a system that was not properly freeze protected. Being the weakest point in the system, the shark bite fitting failed before anything else in that system, as it froze.

Due to the fact that the system relies on two principles which seem to run contrary to all other plumbing principles, I tend to still be somewhat suspicious of them . Here are the two principles that seem to be a bit weak to me:

1. Relying on a simple rubber O-ring to make it permanent pressure seal. While rubber does often seem to last for 20 to 30 years, I seriously doubt that these O-rings will last beyond 30 years.

2. Often relying on a "contact point" between two dissimilar metals for structural integrity. The stainless steel barbs in shark bite fittings, which most typically dig into copper pipes, would seem to me to create a "weak point" for future failure.

My best guess is that they will probably start to have systemwide failures after 15 to 30 years. I just don't like to gamble like that with the systems I install.

My opinion here, and about $2.00 will generally get you a good cup of coffee, for whatever it may or may not be worth.

Thanks,
Scott Perry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks