Shark Bite problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SteveS, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

I'm using Shark Bite fittings to attach to pex rough lines for a bar sink and bath room in newly finished lower level. I'm not being able to fully seat (to the 1" mark) for my 1/2" nominal pex. The pex I'm testing on is new, unmarked, and cleanly cut. Is there something I'm likely to be missing in how I try to push the fitting onto the pex?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Do you have the proper manufacturer's marking guage? I am pretty sure that 1/2" pex does not insert one inch.
  3. SteveS

SteveS New Member

The box in which the 1/2" fittings are packaged does specify 1" in the instructions printed on the inside of the package. I have now obtained the official gauge. It does apply quite a bit more bevel on the end "de-burring" the end, but using it as a marking guide gives a mark at about 15/16", depending on how sharp the marker is. The on-line instructions tell us that the insertion should be to within .005" of the line marked from the gauge. I can't quite meet that tolerance. But, the insertion seems solid and positive, with additional force not giving deeper insertion. Moreover, I went ahead and tried the fittings on the actual rough plumbed pex, and experienced nary a drop when the water was turned on to those lines. I just hope the slight short-fall in insertion depth doesn't mean that longevity of the connection will be reduced.
  4. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

The o ring is where u get the seal so you will be fine.

Attached Files: