share your opinion on the best shower drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by morpho, Mar 28, 2012.

1. morpho

morpho New Member

I have a fiberglass shower receptor I am about to instal directly onto a slab floor.
    I had a look at the off the shelf PVC drains and was less than impressed.
    I'm pretty sure Brass is the way to go.

Is there a preferred technology?
    Manufacturer?

I'll be laying the pan onto a bed of mortar so replacing the drain would be a pain in the arse.

Thoughts?

Thanks a million.
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Zurn and Watts have an excellent product line. You might start looking there.

You might also check with California Faucets. They ship to Canada and have some killer drains that you don't see everywhere!

JW
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. John Bridge

John Bridge Mudmeister

Hi Morpho, :)

Here I sit thinking you have a plastic shower receptor, but you don't like plastic drains. :)

Plastic drains -- pvc or abs -- are fine. They will not rust and crumble like some of the metal drains. I think it's the grate that you are concerned with. It can be metal while the drain remains plastic.

If you are setting your receptor where there was once a tile shower floor, you'll need to dig down and change the drain. :)
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Oatey no caulk brass shower drain is what your looking for.......Jones Stephens also makes one.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=kud0T6ylCIPY2QXQ9uTEDQ&ved=0CD8Q8gIwBA#

I use them all the time and they work......all the time. LOL
  5. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Nice link Hackney. I've ordered a few Sioux Chief drains for my clients up here and the three I've inspected are rock solid. Great designs and solidly built. Some of the cheaper versions have not real strength and are made of the cheapest materials.

The Sioux Chief clamping drains have multiple weep hole locations and I love that.

I carry one in my truck and have my tile supplier stocking them now.

I'll look for that drain next.

Do they make a cast iron version of the clamping drain? Here in Vancouver inspectors are not allowing these ABS and PVC drains like Oatley, CanPlas, Schluter and such in our high rise condos. To much of a fire risk I guess.

One of my favourite drains is the "Baby Blue" by Watts. Its a low profile cast iron clamping drain, paired up with a sheet membrane like Noble Seal TS or any approved shower liner you have the start of a great shower renovation.

My favourite shower drain is a linear drain made by ACO. I sell these locally and through out Canada but not to the US anymore. Here is a picture of my most popular selling drain.

[​IMG]
    ACO Shower Drain with Tile Insert Cover.​

JW

www.No-Curb.com - my blog site on Barrier Free, No Curb, No Dam and Hobless Showers
    (604) 506-6792 jfrwhipple@gmail.com
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014