Sharbite fittings - leaks from teeth marks after making & breaking?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by AcidWater, Nov 13, 2008.

1. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

That should be SHARKbite fittings. Wish I could edit the title...

I just cut away some pinholed copper and inserted CPVC in the gap. In the process of fitting the whole thing, I had to make & break a Shark slip connector a couple times. It leaked, and I can see the gouges in the CPVC.

In order to disassemble the whole jigsaw, I had to remove a Shark connector from the left end copper "stub" and also the slip connector from the right side copper "stub."

I can cut new CPVC to make sure its smooth, but I can't cut the copper back anymore.

The copper on the right side has some tooth marks -- shiny copper lines on the old tubing; they don't look deep at all

So are they going to leak?

I have nothing better to do tonight than give it a try, even though getting this together is a real jigsaw puzzle even using Shark connectors -- due to interferences it only fits together in one sequence, piece by piece..

Maybe I can reverse the slip connector so the slip side is over the tooth marks; maybe it seals further into the connector...

So far I don't see the advantage of Sharks over compression fittings.

EDIT: I wonder if the tooth marks on the copper happened when I made the connection. They only give you one "removal tool" and you use that on the slip side when making it. If I had used a second one on the copper side at the same time when making it, maybe the marks would not have occurred. But in that case, the marks don't cause a leak...

EDIT 2: Nope, not leaking.

But I discovered that the inner plastic sleeve on the fittings will fall downwards and prevent the pipe from being inserted. If you muscle it, the sleeve can get mangled. I used an awl to cram it into a nearly centered position and make sure it was stuck there.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Regular pliers <> Removal tool
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If you don't press in the locking ring enough it will make gouges when you pull it apart. Gouges = Leaks.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sharkbite

REmove the sleeve for copper tubing. Crescent wrench is a better removal tool than pliers.
  5. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

Pliers give less leverage, especially when your hand is up in the overhead. And when the pipe moves, would probably gouge the tube.

I recall reading that the insert can be removed for some purposes, but the packaging says nothing about it. Removable for copper only? What about CPVC?

The slip side of the slip connector has no sleeve to begin with.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The stiffening insert is only used on PEX.
  7. vlee1973

vlee1973 New Member

What happens when you don't remove the sleeve when attaching the sharkbite to cooper? I'm asking because I did it.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Don't worry about it but they are only for use with pex
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It just makes the opening in the pipe smaller.