Shallow Well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ciws14, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ciws14

ciws14 New Member

We have a very high water table here in the Midwest. It averages around 40" year round. Would this be a good candidate to dig a trench with a backhoe and drop in seepage tile or some kind of drain tile? I am looking for irrigation and to keep my pond topped off. Thanks!
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Just because ground is wet doesn't mean it will produce an appreciable amount of water. Water veins are made in clean sand and gravel or rock, which the backhoe wouldn't penetrate anyway.
  3. ciws14

ciws14 New Member

Wet Ground?

When I say 40", that is the typical depth of our water table. I can dig down to about 5' and I hit a very light gray sand. at this point water begins to fill the trench. Is this not enough to extract by some mechanical means?
  4. speedbump

If it's clean grey sand with no clay or just plain dirt mixed it, you may be digging into surface water vein. If you put a well point into that stuff deep enough, you may have a well. Just digging a hole isn't going to work because it will cave in faster than you can dig. Since you don't want sand in your water, a well point is the answer.
  5. ciws14

ciws14 New Member

Well point

What kind of GPM can I expect out of a drive point?
  6. speedbump

From 0 to about 18 gpm. That's been my finding. If you have very coarse gravel, like pea gravel or bigger, you could expect (with the right screen) up to 25 gpm.
  7. ciws14

ciws14 New Member

Can you suggest a place to get these good points & screens? Thanks!!!
  8. speedbump

I have a few Stainless steel slotted screens I'll sell. They are the best you can get for driving into the ground.