Shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it produces lots of water and the sand will clean up, you have a well. Beating on it will only put the point into hardpan or something else that does not contain water, so your as deep as you can go. Beating on it will also slinkie that SS well point. Let us know how the gas pump does.

bob...

Byron1

Reaction score
Here is some numbers to ponder. I have a total of 23 feet of pipe in the ground. I meausre down with the tape measure to 21 feet. So I have 2 feet of sand in the pipe. Now when I measure down with the string I have 5 1/2 feet of water in the pipe, if I suck out the sand should I be able to measure down the full length of the pipe and when I do the string test should I get 7 1/2 feet of standing water in the pipe once it has been cleaned out? I am on my way to get the gas powered pump. I'll be back later:confused:
Byron

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's a lot of sand Byron. If you can get it pumping with the gas pump, don't stop it if possible until the sand quits or slows down a bunch. If you fill the screen with sand, it won't start pumping again.

bob...

R

Rancher

Did the gas pump perhaps need some priming?

I'm assuming a trash type gas pump...

Rancher

Byron1

Reaction score
I used the pitcher pump with the check valve and pumped up the water, put on the suction hose filled that with water then primed the pump. fired it up. Nothing. Its a old pump could have bad seals. I'll do the hand pump for a while.
Thanks
Byron

Byron1

Reaction score
Byron1 said:
I used the pitcher pump with the check valve and pumped up the water, put on the suction hose filled that with water then primed the pump. fired it up. Nothing. Its a old pump could have bad seals. I'll do the hand pump for a while.
Thanks
Byron

Also measured down again with the tape measure I am now at 21 feet 5 inches. So I gained 5 inches of clean out with the hand pump, so another 17 inches of clean out and should be good, thats if no ohter sand gets sucked in.
Any comments
Byron

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what your using for a weight, but that screen has a lot smaller hole in the center than the pipe, so you could be getting hung up in it. The height of sand means nothing anyway. It's getting it to stop pumping that counts. It takes a lot of pumping too.

bob...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Just curious - can water under pressure be used to stir up the sand for pumping out? Even simultaneously with the pumping? I know that would take some work with a compression fitting to slide a pressure pipe to the right point.

And don't try this at home without backflow prevention, if your 'water under pressure' source is city water.

Byron1

Reaction score
I don't think I am getting hung up. I have a total of 23 feet of pipe in the ground, 20 of it is the pipe its self the other 3 feet is the point, So if I measure down 21 feet 5 inches I know I am past the pipe and into the piont atleast 12 inches. I use both a tape measure and a string line with a 1 ounce weight on it. I'll keep pumping and see how it goes, I should be able to spend alot more time on it tomorrow. Hopefully start to see some improvement.
Byron

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can put your pitcher pump on the gas pump discharge side off a tee, and close off the discharge side of the gas powered pump with something stuck over it, then you can get the pump primed with the pitcher pump.

Then start the gasoline powered pump.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats a good idea bob. I like to pump both the hand pump and the gas pump at the same time. It sounds to me like the slot size is too big. Thats why i always suggest a 10 slot if you dont know the condition of the material that you are driving the point into.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
Ok guy's, I am going to spend many hours of pumping tomorrow, I might look into hooking up the pitcher pump on the gas pump with a tee, not sure if it will work though, I will be way over the 25 foot suction mark of the hand pump. So i'll check in from time to time with updates and see if I can get it to clear up. Thank you guys for all your support and help this far.
Byron

Byron1

Reaction score
Hand pump

I have used the pitcher pump today. I pumped into a 100 gallon water troft and then pumped it out with the gas pump. I have pumped almost 200 gallons today. I am tired, maybe tomorrw i'll hit it again. I have water and sand mix still. Good flow of water though.
Byron

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you can pump out the trough with the gas pump, it should work on the well too. That's how I would be pumping it off. The heck with that manual handle up and down thing when there is a motor nearby.

bob...

Byron1

Reaction score
Gas powered pump

I will do a quick review. I have put in the shallow well in the basement at a depth of 23 feet. I do get get water flow with sand. the gas pump is outside and another 6 1/2 feet higher up. That puts the pump at almost 30 feet that it is trying to pull from, maybe I can get it to pull a suction, I will try again, we have had some snow storms roll through which caused some delay. Later this week i'll work on it again, because anything beats hand pumpming a couple hundred more gallons to see if it will clear up!

Byron

Byron1

Reaction score
Electric pump

Sammy, I have 2 electric pumps that a friend gave me for the shallow well They are both wayne 1/2 horse power pumps one is used and the other looks to be near new, could I use one of these!
Byron

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Wayne pumps but if its a shallow well jet pump i'm sure it will work. I think it would be a good idea to pump that water at a higher rate than the rate you will use it at. Remember a well pumped sand free at a high rate will pump sand free at a low rate.If you are going to go with a 1/2 hp i would pump that well off with a 1 hp.Maybe you could get one at a rental shop. That is my advice.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks