Shallow well won't prime after pipes are replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Liam O'Dowd

Reaction score
Yesterday after dealing with priming the pump every time we wanted water for a month, we replaced the well pipe. The pipe that was in the ground was 17' of 1 1/4" galvanized. After pulling this out we found that it had rusted through in a couple places. We replaced the galvanized pipe with 1 1/2" PVC with strainer. There is water in the pipe. We plumbed it and came out with 5' of water. The problem is that no matter how many times we try to prime it we can't get any water. Would the 1/4" difference in the pipe diameter be causing this? My 1/2 HP pump should be able to handle up to 2" pipe 25' down. Please any help would be appreciated as I don't have the money to call a pro in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks