Shallow Well Threads Trashed?

Users who are viewing this thread

paullad

Reaction score
I've never done anything like this before but I just changed the point on my 13' shallow well. I tightened a pipe cap on the 1st 5' section of pipe and after pounding it in with a sledge hammer, I noticed that the cap was cocked. It won't come off and so I'm assuming the threads are going to be trashed. My question is, once I get the cap off and the threads right and start pounding the next section of pipe in, if I put a coupling on first, then a nipple with a cap on it, would that protect the threads better? Or is a pounder tool the only way to go?

Thanks,
Paul

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Paul,
that will definitely protect the threads. Just make sure the threads on that last section you hammered in are in good shape. You dont want it to cause a suction leak in the well casing.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
The problem with a sledge hammer is the angle of the handle when striking the drive cap. If you don't keep it totally horizontal so it hits the center of the cap each time, you are putting all the impact on one side of the pipe which tends to shorten 10 threads into the space of around 3.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks