Shallow well/spring pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard Komisar

Reaction score
Supply line to Pressure Tank and house(plastic barb) was blown out for no apparent reason, threads intact with fitting just hanging. No water to house - water spilling out of disconnected pipe - pump running - don't know how long (overnite and more?). Foot valve trashed (when??) - unable to prime when I put the lines back together.

Replaced foot valve, reconfigured 1 1/4 line into spring/cistern, new supply/pressure tank line barbed fitting (metal), new pressure gauge, new switch 30/50 w/ low pressure cutoff Square D, put air in tank to 26-27#.

Pump runs fine (Goulds J5 - .5 hp). Prime - no problem. Feeds house with adequate water pressure. Pressure gauge stays around 33 - 38(needle vibrates a pound or 2). At one point I thought the pump would not start unless the supply line was without pressure – no back pressure, but I'm not sure now.

Tank does not fill - can be moved about easily. Pump does not cut off at any pressure gauge reading. However, when I turn the pump off (so it doesn't run forever)), there is residual pressure from somewhere enabling me to get a gallon or 3 at the house. Approx. 20 ft lift spring to house. Siphon side prolly 3-4 ft down. The pump/tank holds pressure @ 35# until I use water.

Eventually it leaks out (days)...I don't see a major problem with that, tho I could be wrong.

I have used excessive chlorine (2gal per 70) in the past, but the system didn't seem to care. The pressure tank is an A.O. Smith 20 gal. System installed 1996.

All I can come up with is bad bladder and/or worn impeller (or something in that pump chamber).

Any help most appreciated. Hope I haven't gone overboard with info...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing you have something clogging the venturi nozzle in the pump. It just sits at about 35 PSI and cannot reach the pressure switch shut off point. The water got hot and blew the plastic fitting. There should be a plug where you can poke a wire through the nozzle.

Richard Komisar

Reaction score
I am guessing you have something clogging the venturi nozzle in the pump. It just sits at about 35 PSI and cannot reach the pressure switch shut off point. The water got hot and blew the plastic fitting. There should be a plug where you can poke a wire through the nozzle.

That would fit the issue. Another time in this repair cavalcade, the pump ran overnite and the hot water trashed my piping on the infeed side, not enough to compromise the prime but enough to be a pain - actually the hot water did also
fh5.png
loosen the piping going to the tank/house. Replaced them all.
I suspect I'll need to remove this or just go into the impeller chamber and poke around some. I don' t have a replacement gasket for this adapter. I don't think there is an access plug available on this unit??

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That threaded hole in the center should be where you clean out the nozzle. But I am afraid you may have nuked the impeller if you let it get that hot. Most times the pump won't prime because you still have a leak on the suction side.

Richard Komisar

Reaction score
That threaded hole in the center should be where you clean out the nozzle. But I am afraid you may have nuked the impeller if you let it get that hot. Most times the pump won't prime because you still have a leak on the suction side.

Well, it still pumps water in a pleasing enough fashion, and holds prime just fine. I'm thinking that maybe there are degrees of damage to the impeller? I'll just have a look I guess. Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A piece of a coat hanger or something similar will work. If the jet nozzle is plugged the pump can't produce enough pressure to reach the shut off point of the pressure switch and the pump will melt down again.

Richard Komisar

Reaction score
A piece of a coat hanger or something similar will work. If the jet nozzle is plugged the pump can't produce enough pressure to reach the shut off point of the pressure switch and the pump will melt down again.

It has been a while, and it took a while to avoid the mud. You were absolutely correct. the nozzle was clogged and cleaned out in a jiffy. I want to send you a tad of $$ for saving me a bunch of unnecessary work and parts money. Might you send me your street addy or email (Paypal)? I really would like to do this. Thank you so much. rkomisar@nc.rr.com

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thank you so much, but that is not necessary. I got your email as well. I am just glad you got it working. A lot of people tell me I should charge for consulting, as there are so few people left who know anything about pumps. I do make my living solving pump system problems for people, but I only make money when they purchase one of my Cycle Stop Valves. And since CSV's solve so many different pump systems problems, I don't think I need to charge for advice on the few things that a CSV won't help with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks