Shallow well pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Ace866286

Reaction score
Hi,

Having a big issue with water pressure, I have none. Haha Two days ago I went to take a shower and lost all water pressure. Shallow well pump in the basement was screaming due to a bad bearing so I know it was trying. Went to Lowes and bought a replacement pump, same model that was previously installed, 1/2 hp $200 cheapie. Spent a few hours priming it again and again. Just when I was about to give up it started working. Took a shower that night and the next morning. Had great pressure then it just quit while I was showering. Tried repriming it, didn't work. Returned the pump and got a different one, same issue, still no water. Could really use some suggestions here, thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Single pipe going down the well? Sounds like maybe you need a new foot valve, which is a checkvalve and an intake screen.

I have no experience with such pumps, but I think I have read posts to that effect.

Ace866286

Reaction score
I do plan on replacing the foot valve this weekend. It does have a very slow leak but I'm not sure how that could've caused the pump to quit working like it did. Unless the check valve got jammed closed somehow and prevented suction. Its just strange that everything worked great for a night and then went to hell again. Thanks for the reply

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking that a leaky foot valve could make the system lose prime, and I was suspecting that pump might not be good at self-priming.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A bad foot valve will make the pump cycle when not using water but will not cause a loss of prime. A small leak in the suction line anywhere above the water level will cause a loss of prime.

Ace866286

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help. Ended up getting a third pump, different kind this time and it seems to be working. Got a shower out of her at least tonight. Fingers crossed I get another one tomorrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks