Shallow well pump 1000ft away..need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

handymanharley

Reaction score
New member, lifetime carpenter and do it yourselfer. Here's a recent challenge on my ten acre homestead: I have a shallow well about a thousand feet away and also about 35 feet down. Need best option for pumping it up to one of my tanks. Once in the tank I have it covered, secondary well pump, pressure tank , filters , etc. I understand pumps push not pull but the sheer costs of running wire that far make me want to find another option. thinking of installing pump halfway there to reduce wire costs? Any old pros want to chime in? thanks and enjoy this late winter day.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A jet pump will only suck water up from 20-24 feet max. And you will never get it to suck from that distance. I would run the wire and use a submersible. A little 1/2 HPis all you would need, but you need to push water that far not try to pull it.

Last edited:

deereguy

Reaction score
Handymanharley: You may want to look at my post "At Wits End" above. The input I received from this site was invaluable.

Some thoughts, from a very uninformed person. Everything starts from the performance of the well. How many gallons per minute will the well produce on a continuing basis. rick

handymanharley

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i understand all that, my thoughts are wire is way more expensive than poly pipe with a few check valves. do you think if i position the shallow well pump within the rated 25 foot draw i would be able to pull the water 400 feet to the pump? this will save me probably four hundred dollars just in wiring.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think the 400' would decrease the NPSH available to the point that it would not pump water. If friction and all other losses add up to more than about 20' of suction lift, you are out of luck. I know just priming would be a real pain to find out. And you can't prime with multiple check valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks