Shallow Well/Prime Issue?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Tomnet, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Tomnet

Tomnet New Member

Been helping my son install a well for irrigation issues. We have hit good water, at about 20 to 22 feet,, whne we check in the line we have 7" 6" of standing water. The problem is we can not get the pump to draw the water up no matter what we do! We sand sucked the well with a 3" pipe, and then dropped a 2" pipe with the point down inside, and pulled the 3" back up to espose the full point. Do we need to completely pull the 3" out? Is it posible we are losing suction through it some how? The pump is located dirtectly over the well.
  2. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

If there are no leaks and it still won't pump water you aren't into a water produciing zone. It sounds like you are in a static surface water zone. . . go deeper!
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I assume you meant 7 feet 6 inches. Anyway, as Porky said you might not really be in a water bearing aquifer. How did you determine that you "hit good water"?

How long is the sandpoint? 7 feet of water is not much if your sandpoint is 4 feet long. A small cone of depression will have you sucking air.
  4. Tomnet

Tomnet New Member

Thanks for the responses! Yes I did mean 7 feet 6 inches. Our point is 4' as you indicated, so sounds like we need to go deeper. Being new at this, we basically though we had hit good water when we were drawing a "slurry" that was basically more water then sand.