Shallow well or deep well? Well pump help!

Users who are viewing this thread

james wentworth

Jbone36
Reaction score
Disclaimer #1, I'm a newbie at this stuff.

The story:

I inherited a family cabin in Northern Michigan that has what I thought was a shallow well, but at this point I'm not quite sure. The well pump is inside the kitchen and is a 1988 Simer "Carefree" Convertible Jet Pump, 1/2HP, that has been in there since I was practically born in 1987. I do not know how long the well has been in place, however.

There are two galvanized pipes (I'm guessing 1 1/4" or so in diameter) coming out of the ground and into the pump, which I would imagine is the dual-line suction / drive style of pump / well. In speaking with several neighbors, I've learned that wells in that area generally are shallow wells at around 20-25 ft, which makes sense because we are near a large lake and only a few miles from Lake Michigan. So, I would imagine the water table is quite high.

What is confusing me is that during my online research, the types of wells that utilize two-line wells / well pumps all seem to be considered deep wells, which is opposite of everyone else in my area that I have talked to.

My questions are:

Is it possible that dual-line wells / pumps were used in shallow well settings, such as my situation? If in fact it is a shallow well, would it be okay with replacing the well pump with a deep well jet pump? Or do they make shallow well convertible jet pumps with the two line application? I plan on using the old well pump as long as I can, but being that it is nearly 30 years old, I would imagine it's getting close to the end of its time. I spoke to one well driller and he said Simer's are typical box store junk, but I feel mine is pretty stout and has stood up to the challenge. Would this one be worth re-building if needed?

Any insight on this mess would be a huge help. Thanks a lot!!
jet pump 1.JPG

Attachments

• jet pump 2.JPG
    jet pump 2.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 767
  • jet pump 3.JPG
    jet pump 3.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 698

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it possible that dual-line wells / pumps were used in shallow well settings, such as my situation? If in fact it is a shallow well, would it be okay with replacing the well pump with a deep well jet pump? Or do they make shallow well convertible jet pumps with the two line application?
Yes to these three questions.

Another possibility would be to convert to a submersible pump. Those are much quieter, and they never have a priming problem. The casing size would be one important factor in deciding if to consider that further. 4 inch or bigger ID it is open for further consideration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks