Shallow Well losing pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler Cook

Reaction score
Hello All,
I just took on a shallow well project and got it running. But Im having a problem with maintaining pressure when I run morea than one sprinkler head. The nuts and bolts:

I have a 3/4 HP pump (pressure set to 30/50)
A 8 Gallon Bladder tank (psi at 27-28)
Static water is a 12ft
1 1/4 Well tip with 4ft screen is at 26ft reduced to a 1 draw line going up to pump
This pump will run all day at 43 psi on one sprnikler head but when I turn a second one on it slowly starts to lose pressure and it eventually drops down to 0.
When i turn my valve off it will build back up to cut off (50psi)
I cheked my GPM and its at 6.
Can I increase production and maintain good pressure buy jetting a second well and tie them in togather? Or do I nedd a larger pump?

Any suggestins would be appreciated.. THANKS

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Bugger pump won't do anything to help. Your current pump would pump more than 6 if the water was there. When 2 sprinklers are on and it drops to 0, you should be getting 6gpm through the heads, just no pressure. This could make sense if you are using 5gpm heads? Btw your pump should handle 12gpm depending on water level, but I wouldn't ask it for much more

I have some buddies that hunt not too far from waycross and they jetted some wells for their club. I wanna say they ended up with 5 jetted pipes spaced out a couple feet apart all tied together before they eventually got the gpm they wanted, so I would go out on a limb here and sAy you could probably jet another well few feet away from that one and theoretically double your volume. Wouldn't take much to try. Good luck.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
So I read ur other post, how did u check gpm? By pouring water in or pumping well with the 3/4? Pouring water in would make sense because it sounds from your post that you are overpumping that well And drawing air from inside the 2".

If I did one of these I would jet 2" past the sand, put in 1.25" with 1.25" point on the bottom to desired depth, then pull all the 2" out and let the ground cAve in around the 1.25 so you couldn't suck air. But like I said, if I did one... I never have.. Just a few times in my head. I drill rock wells and deeper.

Last edited:

Tyler Cook

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. Im going to change everything over to 1 1/4 and see. My point is reduced to a 1 inch draw all the way to the pump right now... I would think think that increasing the draw line should give me more volume..If that dosent work I was going to jet a second well and tie them in togather.. Basically everything you suggested.. Ill give it a shot. I checked the GPM with the pump running. It wont run long on the hose. It will lose pressure. So with that in mind, am I runing out of water because my draw line is too small (1inch) or do I need to pull from an additional well to get more? This pump will hold all day on one sprinkler head and hold strong. (42-45psi)

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Changing it from 1 to 1.25 will do nothing to increase your volume. You can pull 25gpm through 1". I think you are running out of water. One head maybe 2-5gpm, which ur well can keep up with fine... Double that and 2-5 becomes 4-10, which ur well cant keep up with the demand.. Go ahead and jet the other well, I would leave the first one alone. Tie them together and go from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks