SHALLOW WELL JET PUMP PROBLEM

Users who are viewing this thread

hayton @telus.net

Reaction score
I installed a used jet pump (Sears 1/2 hp, 115 volt) to pump water from the lake to the cottage, shallow well installation.
When primed the pressure rose steadily until it reached 40 psi at which point it kept running for several minutes then the pressure rose steadily again until shutting off normally at 55psi. We did quite a lot of watering for the garden and lawn sprinkling. In each cycle the rising pressure would stall for some minutes at the 40 psi point until eventually reaching the 55 psi shut off.
Later in the day the pump kept running even though no water was being used until it stopped completely after an estimated 30 minutes. It may have overheated due to being in an unventilated small pump house. It is well insulated for the winter conditions we experience.
What would cause this unusual pattern and how can it be resolved?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Trash from the lake on the input of the pump, Jet / foot valve, maybe.

What kind of tank do you have ? What is the model of your Sears pump ?

A air cooled pump motor does need fresh air.

Good Luck on your project. Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Last edited:

hayton @telus.net

Reaction score
Trash from the lake on the input of the pump, Jet / foot valve, maybe.

What kind of tank do you have ? What is the model of your Sears pump ?

A air cooled pump motor does need fresh air.

Good Luck on your project. Welcome to Terry's Forum.
Thanks, DonL for your ideas. I am back at the lake and have pulled up the intake. Although there was no hard trash there was plenty of lake slime on the screen and in the foot valve chamber. I took the foot valve apart, cleaned everything and after reassembly and re-priming, the pump reluctantly started and seems to be working normally. Also since we are still in period of fairly high usage with sprinkling, I have left the pump house door open a crack for ventilation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks