shallow well jet pump mystery

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by peterng, Oct 20, 2009.

1. peterng

peterng New Member

Good day, bought all I got done tonight was had a beer. That went well.

I don`t know much, but here`s what I can see.

Pump pressure guage reads 40psi. I took the primer cap off, full of water, no pressure. No water coming out of pump and pump not running. Lots of power. I cleaned the contacts. Going down now to see if the tubing to the pressure switch is plugged. Last year I adjusted the pressure switch to shut off around 40psi, though it was set a little higher but can`t remember.

Thing is, there`s no pressure, pressure guages known to go bad are theyÉ
    Can I test to see if the impeller is spinning freely without dissasembling the pumpÉ

Diamond 1 1é2hp pump model 313501. It was in the house when we bought it. Age unknown, at least 5 years old.
    Thanks,
    Pete
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

water

IF the pressure gauge reads 40 psi and there is no water, that might be the first indication that something is not working right. Remove the pressure gauge. IF it stays at 40 it is defective, if it drops to zero, then the pipe to it, and probably the switch, is clogged.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

If you get the pump to run, things might improve.

There may be a blockage in the line and its fittings to the pressure switch.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

How deep is your well?
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

bypass the pressure switch and see if the pump runs