shallow well jet pump loses prime at 50psi

Users who are viewing this thread

Guido_D2006

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump and a sand point that have been working very well for over 10 years now, a changed the sand point once in that time and a few PVBC pipes but thats about all.

This spring I fired up the pump and after an hour or so the hot water tank was full and allw as well pump shut off at 55 psi.

the last 2 weeks I start the pump and it goes great, check valve gets ice cold as it starts pumping and the pump goes up to about 35-40 psi in about 20 minutes..........About the time it hits 50 psi the pump and the check valve start getting hot and the prime appears to be gone. I re-prime the pump and start it again and it continues as before fine until about 50 psi.

The sand point is in about 11 ft of water down 15 ft.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it takes that long to produce water, the Screen is probably plugged again. The first time the Screen is installed is the one that will last the longest. The second one and all those after will last less time because of the mineral your leaving down there when you pull the Screen.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a clog in the sand point, which would cause the negative gage pressure in the suction line to get so high that the water turns to vapor. Either that or you have a break in the suction line that's causing the pump to suck air. Either way the pump heating up isn't doing it any good.

Guido_D2006

Reaction score
How do i clean the sand point (back pressure) or replace it.

How do i clean the sand point (back pressure from a compressor up to 90 psi) or replace it.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I assume the tablets will drop to the bottom of the well, dissolve the lime deposits, so you let them do their work then flush the water out to the backyard for a while?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Drop them one at a time as per their instructions. Then you must keep water running into the well to dissolve the tablets. This not only dissolves them, but the head pressure from keeping the casing topped off helps push the acid through the plug which is much bigger than the screen itself.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks