Shallow well high head ?

Users who are viewing this thread

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Currently our home well has a .5hp sw pump. When it is time to replace it I was thinking of going with a .5 sw high head pump to get a bit more pressure, and better performance at the higher pressures.

Any advice pro or con on this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Higher head won’t get you more pressure if you are using more flow than the pump can produce. Many times it is the flow of the pump that needs to be increased to keep the pressure higher. But a standard ½ HP will give you 5 GPM at 50 PSI, while the high head ½ HP will give you 7.7 GPM at 50 PSI. Still won’t keep the pressure up to 50 if you are using more than 7.7 GPM. A ¾ HP will keep the pressure at 50 PSI while using as much as 12.5 GPM.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
This should give you a good look at the pump chart for various depths with a 13 stage 1/2 hp pump...
I don't think looking at charts for submersible pumps does much for sizing a shallow well jet pump. The general rule of thumb is that a sub needs roughly half the HP of a jet pump for the same output.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Valveman was closest. Jet pumps don't build pressure, the jet assembly builds the pressure. Horsepower will give more flow.
You sure do like to split hairs. Of course a jet pump builds pressure. It uses this pressure to build volume.

Yes, HP will give more flow. I can build 100 PSI with a bicycle pump but I cannot provide enough volume to power a jack hammer with it. Pressure in and of itself, is not what the OP needs. The OP also doesn't need a full "War and Peace" explanation.

Rather than preoccupy yourself with who is more right, give the OP some advice he can use.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I don't think looking at charts for submersible pumps does much for sizing a shallow well jet pump. The general rule of thumb is that a sub needs roughly half the HP of a jet pump for the same output.

I missed the sw part. But I would tell him to get a submersible in there if he can.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for your the input. If my casing would handle a submersible, it would have been in there years ago.

In general, a half horse has been providing sufficient water. I was just looking for advice when it is time for replacement, is there much to be gained from a half horse High Head vs a standard half horse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks