Shallow Well Advise

Users who are viewing this thread

TheOldFlyer

Reaction score
Hello,

Would like some recommendations/advise from the experts here. I installed a Wayne CWS75 3/4hp Convertible Jet Well Pump w/ejector assembly in March of 2014. While getting ready to watch the playoffs today I didn't have any water. My Wayne pump would just hum for approx 3 seconds before popping the breaker in my electrical panel.
After speaking with the folks from Wayne pumps, they suspect the motor is seized and or burned out. As I am just under the 3 year warranty they are more than happy to look at it for me. I am required to pay for shipping to and from the factory as well as their "preferred" packaging which would require crating the pump. This total is going to be over $100.00 bucks for a warranty repair if they "determine" it will be covered by the warranty. .
I am contemplating just purchasing a new pump. If the Wayne didn't last three years, I really don't want another one.
My well is 36 feet deep. Single drop line is 30 feet to the foot valve. Water level from the top of the casing is 14 feet. My setup is underground in a masonry brick enclosure. I access the well through an outside cover after dropping a ladder and climbing down. My home was built on a concrete slab (1955) with no basement.

I was told by a gentleman from ACE hardware not to long ago that I could have installed a shallow well pump vs the convertible jet due to the fact my water level is within the 25 foot standard for shallow wells. Not wanting to doubt the gentleman from ACE or insult anyone who works there that might be on these forums, I would like to verify that info. I was under the impression that your drop line could not exceed approx 25 feet from the pump.
My previous pump before the Wayne (lasted 15 years) was a Convertible Jet Well Pump w/ bolt on ejector. I wanted to replace the pump with something identical in the hopes of getting something that would last. I didn't expect another 15 years but thought I would get a little longer lifespan than this. I am really disappointed with the Wayne.
Anyway, wanted to get some expert opinions on if a shallow well pump can be used here. If so, the pump I am looking at is a Myers QD75S 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump http://www.femyers.com/ResidentialProduct_my_ws_jt_Quick_Draw.aspx
http://www.femyers.com/ResidentialProduct_my_ws_jt_Quick_Draw.aspx
This model caught my attention for its insect and moisture protection noted in the product description. The concrete sweats in the summertime in my enclosure and I swear just about every species of spider known to man is currently crawling around down there. Any help and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Bob

Reach4

Reaction score
I was told by a gentleman from ACE hardware not to long ago that I could have installed a shallow well pump vs the convertible jet due to the fact my water level is within the 25 foot standard for shallow wells. Not wanting to doubt the gentleman from ACE or insult anyone who works there that might be on these forums, I would like to verify that info. I was under the impression that your drop line could not exceed approx 25 feet from the pump.
It is the water level to the highest thing in the system (pipe or pump) that should not be more than 25 ft in a shallow well, as an easy rule of thumb. That's just the lift that you can generally rely on a shallow well to be able to draw water. The foot valve can, and ideally would, be deeper than that. 35 ft would not be a waste if you have the water depth to do that. That prevents sucking air if you were to draw the water down that far.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check the capacitor first and then the centrifugal switch and governor switch. Check the volts and make sure the pump is set-up for whichever voltage you are supplying. The cap will have a little "bubble" on it. If it's pushed out it's probably bad. I use a Simpson Ohm Meter to check but usually you can see the "tattle tale" on the cap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks