Sewer Smell in House

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hello, on occasions I get a sewer smell in my house. It appears to be coming from the guest bath that does not get a lot of use. My thought was that the water in the tub trap would evaporate over time and allow gas to back up into the bath so I got in the habit of running water in the tub once a week or so to insure the trap is full. No luck ... today the smell has returned.

It does not smell all the time but comes and goes.

Any suggestions on other areas to look at ?

Thanks!!

JerryR

Reaction score
I had same problem. It was more noticeable when bathroom exhaust fan ran for a while with the bathroom door closed. The negative roon air pressurevwas drawing the smell up into the room. My sewer sniffing Jack Russell dog's nose went to the base of the toilet. I pulled the toilet, which had a slight rock to it, and found the wax seal had become compromised due to the rocking toilet.

I reinstalled the toilet using a Saniseal Gasket instead of wax seal, shimmed the toilet base so it would not rock and re-caulked the base to tile. I left it uncaulked at the rear.

Smell is completely gone for several months now.

The saniseal gasket has ability to withstand some toilet rocking motion and still remain sealed. In addition if you screw up the install it is reusable. http://www.sanisealgasket.com

Edit:
Previous thread;
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-Fluidmaster-waxless-gasket&highlight=Russell

Jerry

Last edited:

Phillbo

Reaction score
Huh.. my toilet rocks a bit too. I thought they were suppose to.. may be something as simple as needing to be tightened.. I'll try that firs and if it persist I'll give the new gasket a try as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could be the toilet, sink, or tub drain which has dried out. It coudl also be connected to the air conditioner's condensate drain. ANd these are just the things to start with.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Sink and Toilet get daily use.. It's just the tub that only gets used a couple times a year. AC drains outside.

I'll try tightening the toilet and see what that does .

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the toilet has been rocking, chances are that the wax seal is leaking. I would pull the toilet, determine if/what shims are needed and reset is properly with a new seal. Anything less is bound to end in failure.

JerryR

Reaction score
[
If the toilet has been rocking, chances are that the wax seal is leaking. I would pull the toilet, determine if/what shims are needed and reset is properly with a new seal. Anything less is bound to end in failure.

Agreed,

BEWARE of just tightening the bolts. If tightened too much, you can crack or damage the flange mounted on the floor, especially if it is plastic.

If it is rocking then it probably needs to be shimmed. If it rocks enough then the wax seal will become compromised and should be replaced. Pull the toilet, remove the wax seal and set the toilet in place without a wax ring to make sure it sits still on the floor and doesn't rock. Home Depot sells composite shims in the building section that work well and will not rot. After shimming remove the toilet and install a new wax ring. If it is wax ring you have one try to set the toilet. Saniseal gives a novice the ability to make multiple attempts and keep the seal functional.

Terry has a good tutorial on replacing toilets here:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...T454CEFG-2-piece-toilet-written-by-Jamie-Love

Saniseal has a youtube video that is pretty simple explanation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-GblSoNCo

Jerry

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wax isn't elastic..once compressed, it doesn't bounce back, so if the toilet has been rocking, it DOES need a new wax seal (or one of the alternates). A toilet shold be installed such that it is rock solid - it can't rock, or you'll have problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks