Sewer smell in apartment, HELP :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Dowonee

Reaction score
Hello, there has been mysterious odor in my apartment for weeks now and no one can figure out exactly what the cause is.
About two weeks ago, a faint smell began creeping in to my apartment through the electrical outlets and cracks near the kitchen wall area which began to smell more like sewage for the past week or so.
The maintenance came out and inspected the pipes/dishwasher/garbage disposal/cupboards/electrical wiring and found nothing.
The source of the smell seems to be coming from the wall through the electrical outlets mostly and may be coming through other possible cracks/crevices near the wall.
It's only coming through the wall of the kitchen and nowhere else and is the most strong in the cupboard located underneath the kitchen sink (possibly because it's closed all day and the smell is being trapped) and the outlet near the sink.
The best I can describe the smell is sewer/garbage like smell but not too pungent but bit sweet?
The building is only 2 years old and there are no garbage room near my location.
The maintenance told me that it most likely a dead mouse somewhere near the wall and offered to place odor-trap near the outlets for the next 4 to 6 weeks to see if it makes any difference.
The management will not open up the walls since they are not certain where the exact location of the carcass will be (they are going with the dead animal theory since it's what their maintenance guy is telling them).
I've never had mildew/mold before so I don't know what exactly they smell like so I don't know if there's a leakage in the wall?
Any input will be greatly appreciated as I have been dealing with the smell for weeks.

Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks