Sewer smell from under sink and adjoining closet, but not from drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaronb9

Reaction score
I've recently moved into a house which was vacant for ~6 months, and originally built in 2006.

This past weekend, I noticed a sewer/drain smell from the cabinet below one of the sinks. There's no visible signs of water, and the sink, overflow and sink drain itself don't seem to be the source of the odor. There's an interior wall between this cabinet/sink and the bedroom, the other side is a walk in closet. The sewer smell is faintly noticable in this closet also. I thoroughly cleaned the cabinet and sink drain with disinfectant, but by the evening the smell has started to return.

Three weeks ago we had a blocked toilet/drain in the main bathroom, where flushing the toilet caused the shower to back up. Plunging and off-the-shelf drain cleaners didn't work, so we had a plumber come out. He removed the toilet and 'snaked' the system which fixed the issue. The wax gasket was replaced too. I don't know if this has any relevance to the new problem.

I'm absolutely dreading that this is going to be something major such as a cracked or leaking pipe under the floor or in a wall which has allowed waste water to permeate through the floor. I'm not overly familiar with building practices, but as far as I know the house is wood framed on a one piece concrete slab.

Any suggestions as to how I might diagnose this, and/or whether the previous drain snaking may have been related to it?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
How old is the house, and what type of pipe is under the slab? Also look under the sink as to what the waste line is coming out of the wall.

John

Aaronb9

Reaction score
The house is three years old, and the pipe that goes from the sink drain to the wall is PVC. I don't know what all the under-slab piping is made of but the main line sewer pipe is also pvc, as is the few other pipes I've seen (shower drain etc.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks