Sewer Smell coming from pipes connected to hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

hedwards25

Reaction score
Hi! I have a PVC pipe in my pantry (where hot water heater is located) and a pipe from the hot water heater enters there. I believe a plumber said it was the relief valve/pipe? Anyway, there is a terrible smell coming from it. It used to come occasionally (but never where I could figure out if it was when I ran hot water, or it rained, etc). The last plumber to come out said maybe a trap was dry and air was getting out so I should pour water in every time I smelled it. Well...i did that for a week and it's worse than ever. Smells nearly constantly and stronger rather than coming and going.

Would appreciate any advice. As a side note, the water coming from faucets smells fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that the smell comes from the pipe that comes out of your water heater, and has the lower end open about 6 inches above the floor or at a floor drain? Maybe you are saying the smell appears to come either from that pipe or from the floor drain. Could there be a dead mouse nearby?

You use city water?

You are in an area that freezes?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heaters have a hot going out, a cold coming in, and a pop-off line going outdoors as a safety pressure relief passage.
Someone, let's call him a dork, may have tied the pressure/temperature relief valve into a convenient waste line which is usually filled with fumes unmentionable. This may be the source of the gagalicious perfumery.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks