Sewer Odor, installed new toilet, replaced wax ring twice, still have odor

Users who are viewing this thread

JaySamaha

Reaction score
So I took an entire wax ring and broke it up and pushed it under the space between the flange and the floor in the back and everywhere else I could. I smeared it around the closet bolts and the slots they go in. I then set the sani seal on and mounted the toilet. So far, so good. I did it last night and can't really detect an odor (but I'm not sure if my nose can be trusted at this point). I am going away for a week and when I return if I detect an odor (and by that I mean if my wife can detect an odor) then it's back to square one.

Thanks for all the help I've really learned a lot!

-Jay

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As stated previously, NONE of the items you were concerned with had ANYTHING to do with leaking sewer gas as long as the wax ring was sealing the drain pipe. The corrosion on the inner cast iron pipe is normal and probably occurred within the first few months after it was installed. Smearing wax EVERYWHERE also had nothing to do with preventing the odor either, unless the odor was coming from somewhere OUTSIDE the toilet. As an aside, however, I do not think much of the plumbers workmanship if he used a 4" flange on a 3" pipe and just filled the void with "more" lead.

JaySamaha

Reaction score
As stated previously, NONE of the items you were concerned with had ANYTHING to do with leaking sewer gas as long as the wax ring was sealing the drain pipe.

Then perhaps I wasn't sealing the wax ring correctly. However, I've installed three or four toilets before and never had this problem before (but I'm definitely a novice!).

Where else might the odor have been coming from? Or are you just insinuating that I must have done the wax seal wrong?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Where else might the odor have been coming from?

Sometimes it just happens.

Had a friend come over and I smelled sewer gas. I could see that he smelt it too. I hadn't used the toilet in 18 hours, so ...? Only thing I can think of is that the sewer gas backed up through the shower and sink drains. Except for that one day I hadn't smelled it again, even after two years.

But in your case you proved that it was the toilet since just putting on the caps diminished the smell.

The question to ask is what wax ring were you using? Plain?, reinforced?, with a polyethylene flange?, without flange?, not thick enough?, too thick? What make? There are differences in the waxes used... Did you put the wax ring on the flange and then sat the toilet down, or did you put the wax ring on the toilet and then put the toilet down. In the latter it may have caused the wax ring to slip. Who knows? And if you did the former and then didn't settle the toilet down "correctly" then it too may have shifted.

Some like the flanged wax seals, some don't. In your case the flange (if you did you one) may have allowed gas to escape (since your closet flange is above the floor and not just slightly above (1/8" max) or level with the floor.) Who knows for sure? And if your problem has been resolved then that is all that matters.

Last edited:

JaySamaha

Reaction score
Final Update: Went on vacation for a two weeks and prayed that my odor problem would magically vanish upon my return home. It didn't. Pulled the toilet for the fourth or fifth time, installed another wax ring, but the odor continued.

I knew I was out of my league so I called a licensed plumber. Instead of coming out to check it out he told me that the toilet I purchased ($99 Aqua Source from Lowe's) could be the problem. (He also told me that if a customer purchased one of these toilets he would refuse to install it). He told me to try to return it and get a Kohler. Purchased a Kohler Cimarron for $199. Installed it and now the odor is gone.

I will never purchase a cheap toilet again. I always wondered why people would buy an expensive toilet that looks just like the cheaper one. Now I know.

On the plus side I'm glad it wasn't my lack of skills that caused the problem.

Thanks to all who commented and helped me out, it was quite a learning experience!

P.S.-Lowe's was great about all this, too. Very helpful. (Only wish they wouldn't sell toilets like the AquaSource in the first place).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There have been countless discussions on the cheap toilets, especially at "Big Box" stores on this forum. The usual topics have been either quality control issues or poor performance. There are always opinions on which brand of toilet is best, and that argument will likely never cease. However, there is little argument that a Toto toilet is very high on both of these topics. Those junk toilets are frequently referred to as "builder grade" because when contractors are building spec houses, they are not concerned about quality, only that the fixture works. They have to keep there investment as low as possible. Many plumbers do considerable business replacing these toilets on relatively new homes with better quality ones.

jdom07

Reaction score
Final Update: Went on vacation for a two weeks and prayed that my odor problem would magically vanish upon my return home. It didn't. Pulled the toilet for the fourth or fifth time, installed another wax ring, but the odor continued.

I knew I was out of my league so I called a licensed plumber. Instead of coming out to check it out he told me that the toilet I purchased ($99 Aqua Source from Lowe's) could be the problem. (He also told me that if a customer purchased one of these toilets he would refuse to install it). He told me to try to return it and get a Kohler. Purchased a Kohler Cimarron for $199. Installed it and now the odor is gone.

I will never purchase a cheap toilet again. I always wondered why people would buy an expensive toilet that looks just like the cheaper one. Now I know.

On the plus side I'm glad it wasn't my lack of skills that caused the problem.

Thanks to all who commented and helped me out, it was quite a learning experience!

P.S.-Lowe's was great about all this, too. Very helpful. (Only wish they wouldn't sell toilets like the AquaSource in the first place).

So I signed up for this forum just to reply to this.... (Yes I know it's from last year :p)

I am having the same problem with the same toilet! The reviews were amazing for the toilet, so I went ahead and bought it. And for the first three weeks, it was great.

In my case, I know for a fact the toilet had a rushed installation so I'm going to pick it up, examine the drain for myself, and try my hand at getting it sealed. I'm like you, I'm no plumber - but I've installed a few toilets with no problems. And thanks to your post, I'm certainly not going to waste my time making multiple attempts on this one.

Now here's to hoping that if the problem is indeed with the toilet, Lowe's will take it back used and with no box!

Ben Brooks

Reaction score
So I signed up for this forum just to reply to this.... (Yes I know it's from last year :p)

I am having the same problem with the same toilet! The reviews were amazing for the toilet, so I went ahead and bought it. And for the first three weeks, it was great.

In my case, I know for a fact the toilet had a rushed installation so I'm going to pick it up, examine the drain for myself, and try my hand at getting it sealed. I'm like you, I'm no plumber - but I've installed a few toilets with no problems. And thanks to your post, I'm certainly not going to waste my time making multiple attempts on this one.

Now here's to hoping that if the problem is indeed with the toilet, Lowe's will take it back used and with no box!
Coincidentally, I'm having the exact same problem, with the same toilet. Were you able to isolate your problem to being a bad toilet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The first thing to check is if the toilet rocks at all. If it does, it will compromise the wax seal since the stuff gets compressed when it rocks one way, then opens up a crack to the sewer when it rocks back. The toilet MUST sit solid without moving.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Interesting news about the $99 AquaSource from Lowe's. I've installed at least a half dozen, including one for myself; the others for friends and family members. None has complained of a sewer gas smell, nor voiced any other complaints.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I've given this considerable thought, and I'd like some input from the pro plumbers. Unless the thing is just filthy, could a sewer smell possibly be a function (or malfunction) of the toilet itself when no leak is being detected? As previously stated, I've installed a number of the $99 AquaSource with no reported problems. One thing comes to mind and it's the only thing that makes sense to me: This particular toilet is an "all-in-one" package, which includes the wax ring. I don't like wax and don't use it, so I always toss it in favor of the blue Fluidmaster no-wax seal. So I have to wonder if the problem is insufficient thickness of the included wax. Any constructive (not critical, hj) thoughts will be appreciated.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is enough water in the bowl, the sewer odor should be trapped and not enter the living space. I think you could have a good toilet to flange seal and still have sewer odor depending on how the flang is attachedhed to the waste pipe and floor. If there are spacers or a repair ring I think they need to be sealed on the back side with silicon sealant etc. Although I hate dealing with wax I think they seal better on uneven or rough surface. Also there is a new flange that has drain ports that will allow water on the outside of the seal to drain back into the pipe but unless you caulk all the way around the rim of the flange or toilet and caulk up the bolt holes there is nothing to prevent sewer gas from entering the living space.

Brenono

Reaction score
If the old toilet leaked, it could have permeated the flooring or subflooring. With that gap, there's nothing to stop it. IOW, it may not be from any leak.

Where is the top of the toilet flange in relation to the top of the finished floor? That is what determines how thick of a wax ring (or two of them stacked) may be required.
I had this problem and was hijacked into replacing my cast for nothing. Called a plumbing inspector on myself (lol) and he referred me to the 8th plumber who was a teacher. The tile line was 1/4 in too low from the flange had a new flange riser and all the problem was tiles were missing... after suffering through sewer smell and losing around 7k this plumbing teacher came over and used hydrolic cement and started over. After the cement dried he put the new flange kit on, new wax ring and I bought a new toilet x2 but this one had a rim around the base and wasn't hollow so it didn't shift.
I was forever thankful bc sewer gas is a miserable was to live.
** try using hydrolic cement instead of patching old tiles, it must be flat and the tile line straight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks