Sewer main under concrete slab foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

TJP

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to home improvement. I have an unfinished basement that I would like to add a bathroom to. I have cut a hole, dug and located the 4" cast iron main that the upstairs main feeds into. My question is, can I connect to this underground main with ABS pipe or is cast iron required under concrete slab? The soil I have encountered is like clay with very little rock and not much moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
snap_cutter.jpg

ABS is allowed underground as I understand it, but you'd need to check with the local authorities to see if they allow it. Snap the cast iron with a rented snap cutter, then use a fernco connector to patch in the fitting and new pipe. You need to maintain 1/4" per foot for the new stuff to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks