Sewer lining material?

Users who are viewing this thread

quick72toy

Reaction score
Couple of questions.
is there a code on what sewer lining materials have to be?
Is it acceptable to use PCV pipe as a liner, if it is pushed inside clay pipe ? If so, what are the downsides to this method vs a blown in epoxy liner?

Thanks.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I once thought about trying to use some smaller PVC pipe as a liner, but "smaller" was the stopper there. Then I considered the epoxy liner, but that cost was too great in comparison to carefully digging down (with a trencher) to the top of the clay pipe and then removing it, cleaning the groove and laying new 4" PVC right where the clay had been. A licensed plumber who had replaced his shovel with a small excavator had told me that could not be done, then did not even wave when he drove by a few days later while I was closing things up.

quick72toy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry.
The issue was an old clay pipe sewer that had a tree root problem in it. I thought it was a 6" main line and they were going to blow in an epoxy liner. I saw them putting in PVC piping as a liner. it ended up that the main was actually 10" so the went with a 6" PVC pipe inside the 10"
Bit of background to this is, it is a private mutual sewer line shared by four houses. The house on the end of the line has a tree on it, and it's roots were getting into the old clay hub joints, plugging up the line, A root cutter has been sent down the line a few times, but instead of having to do this over and over again, the best solution was to cut out the old Y where the one house fed into the main, (and was causing the root issue,) and shoot a liner in both directions from the cut, for added insurance. My concern was that it wasn't going to be an epoxy filled sock that actually bonded to the old clay pipe making it completely sealed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks