Sewer lift station--help with design and install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I am working on designing and installing a individual sewer lift station. this will be for residential use. it will be for a single home and placed in the basement to lift all waste into a public sewer system.

what size of force main should i use?

what brand and model of pumps and sumps should i suse?

what are your recommendations?

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
if i have done any sewer work it is installing new mains. i don't know much about services. so, yes i might be talking about an ejector pump. i am talking about an individual residential sewer pump.

btw, the distance between my house and the sewer main is 800'.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

This is going service all the plumbing in the house, correct? If so, then you need;
1. A duplex pump system
2. Alternating operation
3. Second pump operation if the first one fails to operate
4. High limit both pumps on if one cannot keep up with the water inflow.
5. High limit visual and audible alarm if the water keeps rising for any reason.
6. A normally closed valve on the incoming water tied into the high water alarm to stop all water flow if the pumps are overwhelmed, or the power fails to the house. This is to prevent continued water use which would flood the basement.
7. Some indication if #'s 3 or 4 occurred so the pumps could be checked for malfunctions.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
what manufacture puts together a system like this?
what size of a sump do i want to use?
what flows should i design for?
how does the length of the force main (actually force service) change things?
minimum and maximum sizing of force main (actually force service)?
grinder pump?

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
engineering

Allen Engineering company in Milwaukee, WI is the expert in our area for putting such systems together.

4031 W Kiehnau Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53209
(414) 353-5070

I have used them to service one of my clients that has such a system you describe. My clients system has a holding tank located outside the house that when reaches a certain level waste and liquids are, by gravity, moved into the pumping station tank. Two pumps are used and are alternated so one pump never does all the work. Both pumps are 220 volts, wired to an alarm in the house which will indicate too high of a level in the pumping station letting the home owners know that the pumps are not working. If you need any more information call Gary at Allen Engineering. Tell him Tony from Tony's Professional Remodeling sent you. Maybe he can help.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get the pumps and control system separately.

You can get prewired duplex control panels with all of the bells and whistles from several places. Grainger has a line of them: 4BA57, 4BA61, 4BA62, and 4BA63; where the differences are 16 or 32 Amps, and NEMA 1 or NEMA 4 enclosures.

You can then add the two pumps of whatever brand you select.

One thing to be concerned about if the municipal sewer system is a force main is that you must know the maximum pressure that the system must pump against.

We have a gravity system where I live but a few places require pumps. They use grinder pumps with 1 1/2" discharge pipes.

The flows are not really high since you have a buffer tank and you can't get a lot more water than the water system can provide.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Sizing an ejector pump is based on number of toilets vs total number of fixtures in my state.
Roughly figured at 20 gpm per toilet up to 5 toilets, then the sizing gets different (fewer gpm /toilet as the number grows), if the total number of fixtures aside from the toilets is more than 4 times the toilets, add 3 gpm per fixture over that number.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks