Sewer: Gasketed PVC to ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I currently have green gasketed PVC for my sewer underground (fairly new) going to old cast iron sewer pipe partly underground, then going into the crawlspace under my house.

I'm going to rip out all the old cast iron stuff and replace it with ABS.

(I've read about transitioning from one type plastic to another and using a compression coupling. There is already a compression coupling there.)

My question is if I can use gasketed PVC above ground or if this can only be used underground?

So should I transition from the green gasketed PVC to ABS below ground (and continue with ABS from there on). Or add a bit more to the green gasketed PVC to bring it above ground, then transition to ABS above ground?

Or does it matter?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
S&d

That green "garbage" is only for use underground outside the building. You have to use a transition device because that pipe is a different size o.d. from what you MUST use indoors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks