Sewer Gas

Users who are viewing this thread

fireman_103

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Model doublewide Mobile home. There is a horrible smell of sewer gas that seems to come mainly from the Master Bath. I have taken a quick peep under the trailer and I cant seem to notice any traps comming from the bath fixtures. The bath tub will drain quicker than anything I have ever seen. Should I purchase and install traps on shower and tub. Are they actually required? I had the septic people out to check my system and get the pump running and they said the smell should go away in a few days, This was three weeks ago.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that your home was built with traps, but every drain must have a trap or you will get sewer gas. This has nothing to do with where the drain goes after it leave the house, city sewer or septic tank it makes no difference. That said, you should remember that toilets have their trap built in so no other trap is required. Tubs and showers must be trapped and vented.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think Gary meant he found it hard to beleive it was built without traps.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey! I was still on my first cup of coffee when I wrote that. Indeed, that is what I meant, thanks Cass.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
smell

The traps for the shower and bath tub are probably in the cavity between the bottom side of the floor and above panel under the double wide.

You can get a smell from the vent on the roof. A down draft from the roof can be drawn into the home, particular on days when the air outside is heavy or muggy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks