Sewer gas

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by wptski, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

As I understand it, sewer gas may contain methane gas. I remember back when I was replacing my toilet flange I ran across this video:

Watch it and tell what you think about its procedure?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    I don't use a torch to remove poured lead, because it is unnecessary, but how else would you sweat copper drain pipes?

There has been a couple of documented cases of natural gas leaking into the municipal sewer, which could be a much bigger concern. Luckily is is almost unheard of.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

I drilled holes and cut the webs with a Fein Multimaster on mine. I don't get the need to melt the wax anyway.

If your sweating a copper drain, your open flame would be on the outside of the pipe at least.

Just had locally two workers at a water treatment plant killed while using a torch on top of a huge tank. Both were blown off the tank to a nearby building roof. Methane gas is suspected.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    One reason there's a vent on the roof is to allow any gasses to disperse before they build up. It also helps ensure things can drain well. In a residential environment, it would be a set of very unusual circumstances where you could even get anything to ignite any sewer gasses, then, it would act more like a burner rather than a bomb. Now, playing around an enclosed tank or something, that's a totally different story.