Sewer gas smell in the bathroom

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by klewis, Jul 16, 2009.

1. klewis

klewis New Member

For about a year we have off and on smelled sewer gas in our bathroom. There is a tub and also a sepoarate shower. It appears that the smell comes from the tub. The tub is seldom used. It is the drain closest to the sewer line. The tub runs along an outside wall with drain and handles backing up to my closet. I could cut thru the wall in the closet and I would be at the water and maybe drain or vent.

My pluimber said to try to not let it dry out. Good idea but water every few days helps but the smell does return. It has been very hot here in Dallas this summer.

What can I do to determine that it is this p trap?

If it is then what are my options to fix or repair or seal?

If not then what?

KL
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

If pouring water in the trap helps but the smell returns after only a few days I would suspect there is an issue with the trap, maybe it's leaking. The trap should take longer to dry out - at the very least a couple of weeks. I'm in South Florida so I know heat - we have a second bath that used to get used very infrequently and never had a sewer smell issue.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Put RV antifreeze into the drain to eliminate the frequent evaporation of the water in the trap.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Smell in bathroom

Have you opened up the ceiling below to inspect the P trap? Perhaps the P Trap is plumbed wrong and is actually a S Trap which will not hold water every time.

Many times after a remodel the floor heigh changes and the tile guy reinstalls the toilet with the wrong rings and gaskets. I would first check the toliet and the toilet flange and the the Bath tubs P Trap.

John Whipple ---- No-Curb, No-Dam, Hobless Shower Blog: No-Curb.Blogspot.Ca---- Email jfrwhipple@gmail.com---- Phone: 604 506 6792​

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

"When It's perfect. It's Good Enough."
    - JW
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013